Thread: Who gets first shot ?

Default Who gets first shot ?

My buddy and I have been hunting together for 35 years. We have never been on a guided hunt befor. The first person to spot the game has the choise ,shot or pass. This has worked good and we have both watched each other shoot many animals. But on a guided hunt how should the order go,how do you decide who gets the first chance? I'm know we could just flip a coin but was wandering if there was any other way.

He who spots it or choose before you ever leave the house who gets first crack at the animal. Just becasue there is a guide involved it shouldn't change what your buddy has done for years, your the boss, not the guide when it comes to who shoots. The guide is the boss on everything else

Are you hunting for a species that one of you has shot in the past and the other hasn't? That's one way to figure it out. Might be worth a discussion about what each of you is looking for in an animal. Is one of you willing to shoot the first legal animal while the other is looking for a world class trophy? Whatever it is, decide before the hunt.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Just decide first. Flip a coin, however you want, but decide first. Friends are happy for the other's success, hopefully that'll be the case this time too with both successful!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Quote Originally Posted by headhunter353 View Post
    We have never been on a guided hunt befor. The first person to spot the game has the choise ,shot or pass.
    Why change now?

Hunt as you normally hunt, I agree there is no reason to change your system now.

I personally would defer the first opportunity to my partner...I derive a lot of satisfaction in other's succcess. If they decline, for whatever reason when the shot presents itself, then I would be quick to follow up with quick action to make the kill...I ain't picky. All this would be known long before the hunt started and then reitterated to the guide, just so he if fully aware of what to expect to happen in the heat of the moment.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Bushrat came up with the best one so far. Everyother day. Take turns at bat.Great one bushrat.
    We were hanging stands and shooting ground hogs yestrday and couldn't come up with anything but a flip.
    As said we have a lot of history and have worked for each other to get many animals.
    This will be the only goat hunt we will get at age 50 and 5 years of saving for this hunt.

We always flip a coin. Winner gets first shot the first day out. Then the next day the other person shoots first. But if my son is my partner he gets first shot if it is an animal he has not yet killed. Been hunting this way for decades and it works for us.
    Tennessee

I see your delima......... between the two of you , first sight, first choice......if the guide sees it first, flip the coin.......good luck!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

When you go to check the accuracy of your rifles after your travels.
    Have a friendly competition... My last competition my buddy and I set-up LifeSavers candies. Three LifeSavers, three shoots at 100 yards. Oh if you do choose this method make sure to pack extra ammunition. Good luck and be safe out there.

So you have two hunters and one guide, hope that you got a deal on the price. I like the everyother day thing as well for something like this and would do the shooting thing for the first day. Wish you both the best of luck. How many days will your hunt be. Has the guide indicated the likelyhood of one or two animals. One other thing is settling on the trophy size. If one has higher expectations and a smaller trophy presents itself you have the option of defering to the partner.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Being from Bethlehem PA myself, I have to say after 35 years hunting together, you should be able to come up with something. I've been up there twice since 08 on DIY as well(lucky I have a cousin there). As you are paying for a guide and spending the same amount of money to hunt the animal you have options for the shoot first decision. Silly as it sounds, rock/paper/scissors, who's older, who's is prettier(that would be a tough one), etc. Been fortunate to hunt with cousins and the choice is never hard for us after 20+ yrs. Whatever the outcome of the "shooter" choice, it's still a great memory for both. Good Luck!