Thread: How's the Fishing in Sitka?

Default How's the Fishing in Sitka?

This is my first post on this forum, but have done some reading and it seems that there are some very knowledgable folks on here. I got roped into going to Sitka the first week of July for a 3 day fishing trip this summer

Just wondering if you folks could tell me what I might expect. This will be the first time to Alaska for three out of the four of us. Grandpa took a cruise up that way last year and had so much fun he had to recruit some help to go with him this year.

Any thoughts on what type of fishing to expect the first week of July would be great.

Thanks

Default You Should be Busy

You will be getting to the King salmon fishing in Sitka just a tad after the peak of the best sport-caught production - but if you've never been there before I doubt you will notice. You will be a little early for silvers, but there will be a few around. Sometimes an early silver run is in Sitka Sound about this time and you have trouble getting down through them to get to the Kings.

You are about 3 weeks early for halibut, but the more knowledgeable charter skippers will still have an idea of where to anchor offshore to find halibut, some ling cod and rockfish. All in all, you guys should keep busy. Remember to take Dramamine (or something similar) ahead of time each day so you don't put a chum slick behind the boat. I've been told it isn't much fun cranking in your limit(s) of fish when you have the "dry heaves"! Good luck and have a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by JKD View Post
    ...You are about 3 weeks early for halibut, but the more knowledgeable charter skippers will still have an idea of where to anchor offshore to find halibut, some ling cod and rockfish....
    We're still waiting for the EO setting limits for lings... Last year they were closed June 15-August 15...

Otherwise, Sitka is one of my favorite towns in SE... both for exploring on land and the great fishing.

Have fun!
    -Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So when you refer to Rockfish, are the yelloweye's the ones a guy would fish for there. Or are the numerous species like here on the Oregon Coast? We can't keep all of them here, but enough to fish for a cooler-full.

Quote Originally Posted by Chukar View Post
    So when you refer to Rockfish, are the yelloweye's the ones a guy would fish for there. Or are the numerous species like here on the Oregon Coast? We can't keep all of them here, but enough to fish for a cooler-full.
    Last summer ADF&G issued an EO requiring retention of ALL legal rockfish until limits were met. There's quite a variety, as in Oregon... ours are just a bit bigger (usually)...!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Curious what outfit you booked with Chukar,

My biggest but last summer was the 2nd week of may. SO you can and will find big butts when you find them! The two largest butts of the season last summer were mid june, a 420 and high 300's, all within a week of eachother, by the same skipper on the same mark. Go figure.

I will say you are to early for coho's to the point you'll be lucky to catch one at all. There's a few around occasionally depending on what happens with feed. Last year we had a huge biomass of feed show up and along with it a few coho's were around.

Like Cc mentioned the dates last summer for lings, I havent heard anything for this summer yet, granted I probably wont till I get down there.

You'll have fun without question.

I think the name of the outfit is Kingfisher Charters or something like that. Like I mentioned in the opening post, I was sort of roped into this whole deal. Don't get me wrong, it didn't take a whole lot of pursuasion. Sort of a "Do you want to go?" and my answer was "When are we leaving!"

From what I know the outfit is someplace a cousin of my mother's has been going to for years. He enjoys the time there with them and has done well in the past.

The way I look at it is, that going fishing in Alaska is always something I have wanted to do. I didn't think the opportunity was going to present itself this soon, but there is no time like the present, right?

I am a little discouraged that the timing seems to be off for peak fishing times, but I have to believe that any time is better than not going at all. That is sort of why they call it fishing right? If was all suppose to be easy, it would be a whole lot cheaper to go to the gracery store and get the table fare. The experience is what I am looking forward to the most.

We live in the high desert here in Oregon. A truly beautiful place to some of us. Others think it is only fit for reptiles, rocks, and sagebrush. I really want to see Alaska before it gets more developed than it already has become.

On the Dramamine issue. I have taken Ginger pills for the past several years and they seem to work for me. I had a previous co-worker enlighten me on that, so far so good. And they don't make me drowsy.

Thanks for all your input.

Chukar, If you are going with Kingfisher - you may get a chance to go out with my son-in-law on the Titan. He's been working for them for awhile now and has recently bought his own rig. Along with everything else, he has been scoring pretty heavily on barndoors the past couple of Summers.

Of course, I claim that I taught him everything he knows! Best of luck to you.

Default How is the fishing in Sitka?

Quote Originally Posted by Chukar View Post
    This is my first post on this forum, but have done some reading and it seems that there are some very knowledgable folks on here. I got roped into going to Sitka the first week of July for a 3 day fishing trip this summer

Just wondering if you folks could tell me what I might expect. This will be the first time to Alaska for three out of the four of us. Grandpa took a cruise up that way last year and had so much fun he had to recruit some help to go with him this year.

Any thoughts on what type of fishing to expect the first week of July would be great.

Thanks
    A colleague of mine transferred to Sitka a year and a half ago. I called him recently and asked him how the fishing was. He said, "take your best day in the anchorage area, and it's like that every day here in Sitka". Myself I would love to go there someday. Have fun.
    Last edited by wildog; 03-13-2007 at 18:53. Reason: misspelled Sitka
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    A colleague of mine transferred to Sitka a year and a half ago. I called him recently and asked him how the fishing was. He said, "take your best day in the anchorage area, and it's like that every day here in Sitka". Myself I would love to go there someday. Have fun.
    Your colleague obviously doesn't have a thing for resident rainbow trout, or in river king eh? That being said theres a reason the statewide salmon troll permit holders fish primarily around sitka, the fishing is GOOD (if trolling is your kind of thing)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

well if you're running with kingfisher, can I make a couple recommendation?

Run with Earl on the Samantha. Realistically you probably wont be able to though as I'm sure his boat is booked for the year.

Another would be Simmon (forgot his boat name already).

Paul on the titan does well also, was kinda wondering if he was still running this summer or not.

Another guy to ask for is Doc (if simon and earl are booked, which would be my first two choices). Doc did land the biggest fish last summer, 420lbs, 5 days before, landing a mid 300's.

Heath one the intrepid (the owners younger brother), is also a consistent flatfish man, and cod. Him and Paul (titan skipper), seem to do quite well.

One bad thing about the first week of July. Comm troll opener, 1 july. First couple days is still good, after that it can be tough, not nessicarly is, however the outside fish are pretty shell shocked. Definatly fun working around the troll fleet . Takes a lil more work is all, and that's only sometimes, when the fish are on it's a free for all.

The one benefit of most of those skippers is most of them are also comm fish guys, long liners, I believe earl is also a cuc diver in winters.

Anyways, you'll like it and you'll get fish. Be prepared in the mornings as it's rarely they're late, showing up right at 6 or slightly before every morning. You'll meet on the docs unless things have changed from last year and get your boat assignments. If you have a request for lunch dont hesitate to say something. Most of my clients didnt bother mentioning anything at all.

Anways, have a great trip!

Simon's boat is the makai. The man can produce fish out of your kitchen sink!