Thread: Kenai Canyon Report??

Default Kenai Canyon Report??

Anyone fished the canyon lately willing to provide a report. We're doing a family camping trip at Hidden Lake this weekend and figured I might float down through the canyon Saturday--well Sunday too if it proves good. Love to fish it in the fall, just never hit it in July so not sure what to expect.

Any input appreciated.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Last Fri-Sat-Sun (July 8,9,10) the Red Salmon were cherry-bomb red remaining from the first run, and the trout/dolly fishing was very poor for me.
    I have not heard any reliable reports that the second run has crossed Skilak Lake and entered the Kenai Canyon, but will find out tonight and this weekend.
    For that legendary great fishing for Kenai Canyon trout/char, wait for September/Oct.

Pretty much the whole upper through the canyon is slow right now. I had good success the first two weeks of the season but the clear water and it being low has fish freaking out. Floating last week there were very few trout even seen. need those 2nd run reds to push through and bring the stripped and spotted buddies with them
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thank guys, thats what I figured. Always hit it in the fall, just never did in the mid-summer. May float it just for fun anyway--but at least I will have realistic expectations.

Thanks,
    Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Not a bright colored Red Salmon in the upper river. Not yet and possibly not for two weeks.
    Rainbow and dolly fishing as tough as I have saw it in 18 years. But a boat on Skilak where the Kenai enters hooked and landed a Kenai monster, a rainbow of legendary size as i was getting the motor started and getting the cataraft pointed into the wind.
    Kenai River is still strangely clear.
    But, sensatioinal sunshine and 72 degree temps on Friday and Saturday.
    Slilak Lake crossing choppy and exceptionally wet. Not unsafe, but wet.