Thread: XLT Question

Question XLT Question

I bought an XLT this winter that had not been run since last year. He thought it was seized, but it turned out to be a recoil problem. He also said that he just had the carbs done. When I fired it up it smoked A LOT and burned a lot of oil and gas. I thought it was way out of wack, but it seems to be improving every time I ride it. I now am thinking that it was summerized with some oil in the pistons. Any other thoughts? It runs strong, but won't start in weather colder than 10 above. The machine is a 1994 Polaris XLT SKS.

Oh I almost forgot, when I shut it down some times a little anti-freeze shows up around the spark plug. It is not coming from inside the block though. The level of anti-freeze fluctuates about 2 1/2" in the overflow container from start up to when it gets really warmed up, it that a normal fluctuation? I never noticed anything like that in our wide track.

Thanks for any insight, even an idea would be appreciated, the sooner I get this beast figured out the better.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Default XLT Coldstart

You may want to change the injection oil to a synthetic. My '97 XLT is a bear to get to turn over when it's been sitting in the cold. It sounds like you're on the money with the burning of the storage oil.

I believe the purple "head" on the XLT is actually just a water jacket over the cylinder heads. That could be your coolant leak. If you have the tools you could pressurize it with air and check for leaks. No puddles when it's just sitting? Good luck!

The last guy really may have seized it. Most seizures I've seen free up when the motor cools down, but there might be some damage in a cylinder. Excess smoking and hard starting would make me suspicious. I'd be testing compression in any case.

Anti freeze seeping from the head needs to be addressed.

Question humm...

I took the XLT out on the Tannana today. It ran great, lots of power, no smoke. Until I was about 1/4 mile from The landing and it quit in mid stride. I stopped and checked all the fluids, all was OK except the antifreeze was really full in the overflow tank. I pulled it over and it fired up on the second pull, I drove the rest of the way back but it lacked power, kind of like it was running on two cyl. I pulled the plugs when I got back and the was no spark on any of them.
    What gives?
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Default what the...

So I just ran a compression check and moving from the clutch right the compressions are, 0, yes I meant 0, 110, and 110. Humm... Piston not moving? Doesn't explain the spark issue, but I think this means I'm going to have to drop in my older 600 engine in.... Darn, I really got my hopes up.
    Henry Ford

Wink My Two Cents

I had a 97 XLT 600 a couple years ago and spent countless hrs and effort troubleshooting various problems , most engine related.
    The last time it broke down on me I was going to leave it on the river for the ice to take on breakup, toast it's demize with a bottle of Jack and a cheap hooker.
    I came to my senses, towed it home, sold it on Craigs List for $400 in parts and bought a skidoo {and a cheap hooker}.

Haven't broken down since and I have my sanity back.

I am convinced that model was built by the Satan himself, placed here to torture poor souls like ourselves.
    Dump it .... QUICK!!!!!!!

Default Polaris

Nothing against ski-doo, but I'm a Polaris guy. I bought the sled with the understanding it had a seized motor.
    Henry Ford

Pull the engine this summer and rebuild it. They are pretty much bullet-proof.

Expansion of the coolant is normal. Spark loss is not. Not going to run anyway with a cylinder down.

Default Rebuild Vs. replacment

I thought about rebuilding it, which I will probably do, but I have a *perfectly good* mid 80's 600 triple sitting in the garage. I isn't quite the same but it drops right in the tub.
    Henry Ford