Thread: Stomp Grate = power loss?

Default Stomp Grate = power loss?

I was wondering if stomp grates (extra grating) restrict the intake of water to the pump and possibly result in a loss of power? My work boat is a 20 ft Marion with a 4.3 liter v-6 and a center console. It's a great boat for hauling gear, but my memory tells me it used to have a little more power before the stomp grate was installed. I use the boat so little, except for the 1,200 miles logged last week (ugh!), that I just can't remember what the power used to be like. Thanks.

I noticed no loss of performance after installing a stomp grate on my inboard jet and have yet to anyone post otherwise. Also there should be no "extra" grating, at least on the one I have every other slat/bar in the grate is on one half of the assembly, meaning there are the same number as the original grate, same flow.

It may as simple as a fuzzy memory as to the actual performance, or a wearing of the impeller/s and sleeve/s now becoming noticable.

I just installed a stomp grate on my 21' Hewescraft and noticed no loss of performance. There is no way that a V-6 is going to be pumping enough water to make grate restriction an issue. With a V-6 in a 20' inboard you are already a little underpowered.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Maybe the boat has gotten heavier over the interveening years with so little use, I know that's happened to my ..... boat.

Thanks - it appears my fuzzy memory and desire to haul huge loads have come into play!

I was concerned about the same thing before I installed my stomp grate. I have a TJ 22' 383 stroker and the Ham 212 pump. Before I installed the stomp grate I went out and checked WOT, speed and RPM. After I installed the grate I rechecked the performance and no change. The only change was the piece of mind to know if I plugged the grate I could now stomp and go. Good investment.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Blue Thunder: So you haven't noticed any difference in performance when heavily loaded either?

No difference at all. I can only speak for the Katchem (forgot how it is spelled) made grate. These grates are made in Idaho. Some where I have contact info for the guy that makes this grate. Let me know if you need it and I will try and find it tomorrow.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Thanks - I don't need the contact info. I believe the stomp grate on our boat was also made in Idaho. I'm probably barking up the wrong tree with this stomp grate theory.

Go weigh your boat and see if you aren't holding some water in the foam, you could be surprised some foam gets water logged.