Thread: unit 13 bou dc830?

Default unit 13 bou dc830?

So i drew the tag, checked out the area, heard the stories and did some research, but i had a question someone might have info on, first how many tags, drawing and tier permits were issued this year, with all the changes im guessing a lot of people applied and got tags. i bet opening day aug 20th will be a zoo! ill be there to see it and report back, the area is closed on emergency order so it may not take long to meet the closer number, hence wanting to know how many tags were issued. the other question i have was on taking a secound caribou in a different district? say unit 25, more than 1 caribou can be taken there, but if i fill my draw permit am i done for bou for the year, the tag says its void if a caribou is taken the same regulatory year. ive never drawn a bou tag, and i wana do this hunt but i thought id be able to go up north and hunt after i filled my draw permit. to late to call F&G to ask tonight, anyone know either?

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

dc483! man, that was another tag number from this year, thanks for the correction!

Quote Originally Posted by mr.Montana View Post
    So i drew the tag, checked out the area, heard the stories and did some research, but i had a question someone might have info on, first how many tags, drawing and tier permits were issued this year, with all the changes im guessing a lot of people applied and got tags. i bet opening day aug 20th will be a zoo! ill be there to see it and report back, the area is closed on emergency order so it may not take long to meet the closer number, hence wanting to know how many tags were issued. the other question i have was on taking a secound caribou in a different district? say unit 25, more than 1 caribou can be taken there, but if i fill my draw permit am i done for bou for the year, the tag says its void if a caribou is taken the same regulatory year. ive never drawn a bou tag, and i wana do this hunt but i thought id be able to go up north and hunt after i filled my draw permit. to late to call F&G to ask tonight, anyone know either?
    Check out page 16 of the big game hunting regulations regarding "bag limit". It explaines it very clearly for exactly what you are asking.

Remember, tier I gets a head start. They open on the 10th, so there is always the possibility that the hunt could be shut down for the rest of us (I have DC480) before we could even start. I did hear rumors that they might have a separate allocation for the draw tag winners, but nothing solid on that yet that I have seen.

If you want to see how many people have specific permits, go to the ADF&G drawing winner page (http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...se.drawresults ) and download the zip file for drawing and tier I/II winners. You can easily sort the excel file by hunt number and count how many of each there are.

Hope that helps.

It will most likely be a zoo, but from previous years there have been roughly 2500 tags issued and it has gone at least until early November (I think they issued about 3500 + or - tags this year for the Nelchina herd. As the herd moves East, the 483 tag is really good for an early winter chance if it holds out that long. Also from what I've read the herd is at an recent times maximum hence the decision to minimize it a bit. My prediction is will go at least until October with the herd being spread out in smaller bands due to hunting traffic pushing them around. Nice thing about the draw tag is you can hunt moose in other units than 13. Take advantage if you can. I'm curious to see how it pans out, but all in all I'm going to have a great time getting out for a fall vaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man Jack View Post
    It will most likely be a zoo, but from previous years there have been roughly 2500 tags issued and it has gone at least until early November (I think they issued about 3500 + or - tags this year for the Nelchina herd. As the herd moves East, the 483 tag is really good for an early winter chance if it holds out that long. Also from what I've read the herd is at an recent times maximum hence the decision to minimize it a bit. My prediction is will go at least until October with the herd being spread out in smaller bands due to hunting traffic pushing them around. Nice thing about the draw tag is you can hunt moose in other units than 13. Take advantage if you can. I'm curious to see how it pans out, but all in all I'm going to have a great time getting out for a fall vaction.
    I thought they issued 3100 tier 1 tags alone?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I hope it holds out...my wife drew DC480. It will be her first big game hunt...

Remember, tier I gets a head start. They open on the 10th, so there is always the possibility that the hunt could be shut down for the rest of us (I have DC480) before we could even start. I did hear rumors that they might have a separate allocation for the draw tag winners, but nothing solid on that yet that I have seen.

Since the Draw hunt had to be supported wiht a fee $$$ there will some very unhappy peopel if they close it down on the Teir OO hunt prior to tat hunt. My guess is they will have an allocated amount for each hunt But what do I know :-)
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Kings View Post

Since the Draw hunt had to be supported wiht a fee $$$ there will some very unhappy peopel if they close it down on the Teir OO hunt prior to tat hunt. My guess is they will have an allocated amount for each hunt But what do I know :-)
    My understanding is that if the draws hunts are shut down ... the draw winners can still hunt caribou moose in other units.... whereas the applicants of the Tier permits cannot. Perhaps they did allocate a portion to the draw winners ... but I speculate that they did not.

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Kings View Post

As much as I agree with the desire for the allocation for the draw permits, there is no obligation for it just because we paid money to apply. It was well advertised during the application period that it could possibly be shut down prior to the season even opening. There wasn't even a number of permits listed to be awarded during the application period, so really, there could have only been a few available and we couldn't say much about it since we knew that going in.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    My understanding is that if the draws hunts are shut down ... the draw winners can still hunt caribou moose in other units.... whereas the applicants of the Tier permits cannot. Perhaps they did allocate a portion to the draw winners ... but I speculate that they did not.
    You are correct. The draw winners (along with their family members) are allowed to hunt moose and caribou in other units while the tier I winners are not. That was why the risk was worth it for many of us who applied for them versus going for the tier I option.

In a chat with ADF&G, they recently counted 41,000 animals. Therefore with a management objective of 35,000 (I believe) that leaves a nice surplus for ALL hunters with permits. That being said, I'm thinking this might be a long open season. Maybe it won't close at all, wouldn't that be nice!

Look me up Mr. Montana, we need to catch up!

In a perfect world, I will get to hunt with my son for caribou. We won't see any the first hunt but will enjoy the time together with a few friends. Then after it snows, we will get to snowmachine out, shoot a couple on a weekend. I really enjoyed the winter hunt last year and the ability to snowmachine to gather the rapidly cooling meat is a bonus.

I hope everyone that works for it gets their meat. That people do it safely. That people respect private property. That they don't litter or leave a mess. That a few people get some really nice bears. That they don't rut the tundra with ATVs and make it look like hell.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

talked to fish and game today and got some info to share, if you drew a draw tag for unit 13 and fill it first you can still go to units with a bag limit of more than 1 caribou and take additional caribou after the draw tag is filled, but if you take a caribou in another unit first then the draw tag is invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.Montana View Post
    talked to fish and game today and got some info to share, if you drew a draw tag for unit 13 and fill it first you can still go to units with a bag limit of more than 1 caribou and take additional caribou after the draw tag is filled, but if you take a caribou in another unit first then the draw tag is invalid.
    The same info can be found in the regs as well as the supplement you and everyone else was looking at when it was time to apply for tags. Regardless, thanks for the heads-up.