Thread: First Time Ever!!

Default First Time Ever!!

First time ever that I have taken bullets out of a box and they all weighed the exact same 165.2grs for 42 of the fifty in the box and the extreme spread was .4 WOW!!!! Now I don't know it they will shoot well or not, but they sure are off to a good start. I needed a 165gr load that was an all around load being able to open quickly without the front of the bullet fragmenting, creating a good mushroom for a good size meplat and a shank that would not break apart on bone while continuing in a strait line like the TBBC but being inherently more accurate.

This would allow me a load that would work on deer to elk and moose, without jockeying around with different bullets and loads as well as different impact zones, having to sight in each time I changed loads. The bullets I am trying and that weighed so phenomenally well, are 165gr SS North Fork bullets. I will be using the load data that North Fork sent me for my 300Win Mag and also the OAL they told me to use as my base to work from. Then I weighed the completed cartridges I loaded and the spread in cartridge weight was .5 - I will see next Monday morning how they shoot. Work has me tied up until then. Can't wait to see how they do.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I told you all that I was trying the North Fork 165gr SS Well here is the letter I wrote to North Fork after this mornings range session.

Franz, I have developed over the last 13 months ten loads using Sierra, Barnes, Nosler, Hawk and Hornady, and all ten loads are under an inch with my 300Win Mag. Here is a link for you to see my spread sheet that demonstrates the accuracy of my 300Win Mag, my load ability along with my ability to shoot well, as you have seen a target or two of mine as evidence of accuracy. When you get to this link please scroll down to the bottom of the article and see the spread sheet before you read my following comments.
    http://ammoguide.com/?article=mhsp68/reloading4v

Last night I finalized my load work with the load data you gave me and with MRP and RL-22. I weighed each bullet and used only those that weighed the same, 165.2grs. I weighed my brass, did all my brass prep, and weighed each charge to make sure that everything was the same. I went to the range early this morning and used your specific load data and OAL that you sent me for the 165gr SS. I used your data with RL-25 and it only registered 3133fps, and also MRP max load registering 3218fps, and RL-22 max load registering 3161fps. I was very disappointed in the velocities because I was driving with these same loads the 165gr Sierra at 3236fps (with MRP) which is faster than I was able to drive the 165gr SS.

Now that was disappointing enough, but the accuracy was totally unacceptable. My best group all morning was with RL-22 and it measured minus bore 2 1/2". With RL-25 (the load data you gave me) I had a 3 1/4" group minus bore. I am sorry but my rifle does not like the North Fork bullet, I can't use this bullet with this kind of accuracy. I really wanted the 165gr SS to shoot well and the only other option I have is to use IMR4350 which is the powder I use for my accurate load which I sent you a target of the other day, but I am not encouraged by that, because the Sierra bullet I used in my accurate load shot 1 1/2" with the same above loads of MRP and RL-22. Franz, I don't know what else to say??? It does give me pause as I wonder whether are not to spend the money and try the 200gr SS in my 358Win. Wished this had turned out better and that my rifle liked the 165gr SS. Yours truly, Mike
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

My dad and I have -06's with barrel lengths that seem equal. The same reloads in one rifle fly 100fps faster and more precise than when fired from the second rifle. In my case, it could be many factors including the quality of the bore.

For your situation, I wonder if the diameter of the bullets is slightly different than the other brands. How close are you to the maximum load (in terms of grains, not velocity)? Any pressure signs? What happens if the loads are worked up towards the velocities of the other bullets ... or perhaps a different powder may make a difference.

PS: BTW, nice groupings in your article.

I am close to max, so I need to try a different powder. My bore is very smooth and cleans very fast, I can shoot 60 rounds plus and not have my groups open up on my good loads.

sight in my long range deer load with my Savage 116FHSS. I fired a five shot group and was just barely left of the center line so I adjusted one click right and fired five more rounds. My extreme spread for 10 rounds was 11.10fps and my deviation was 6, and it was the 165gr HPBT G/K moving 3168fps. I am getting much better extreme spreads and deviation numbers with Remington brass. What I think is so cool is the fact that I shot five then adjusted one click right to see if the scope moved as I expected (throwing the 7th round) and still have a 10 shot group just under an inch minus bore including the one round I threw.

165gr HPBT, IMR4350, Rem brass, CCI250 primers, moving 3168fps, ES 11.10 and Dev 6
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I am in communications with North Fork today and we are going over the lot and also going over specs. I went today to try my IMR4350 load that has worked for every other 165gr bullet I have tried and here are the results, just like yesterdays.

Here is my sight in of my 358Win Hawkeye deer load using the Sierra SBT to show I was shooting good today. Note two bullets went through the right hole.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS