Thread: Hunting caribou in area 25C

Default Hunting caribou in area 25C

We decided to apply for a permit for area 25C instead of going towards denali for bear/wolf (in legal areas to hunt). Myself and a good friend will be heading out of fairbanks on Friday for our weekend hunt for caribou (white mt caribou). We are looking forward to this hunt a bit more than the bear hunt we had planned since area 25c was one of the areas we had originally planned on hunting. We look forward to the stalk and hopfully kill of my first alaskan caribou and we will keep everyone posted with the turnout for this comming weekend.

wish us luck!

and please post up any advice or if you have hunted area 25C before.

Thumbs up Good luck

I've spent alot of time in 25C and 20B moose/predator hunting. Never saw a caribou (saw tracks, but then again I was predominately in northern 20B not 25C), hunting partners have once or twice. I refer to those caribou as "mythical unicorns". It's a very small herd (approx 700 animals I.A.W. http://www.birding.alaska.gov/pubs/t...03mt-north.pdf) stretched out over alot of land. Good luck.

If you can get in on a White Mountain Herd caribou (not a fortymile herd caribou), and harvest it in a weekend, that would be an exceptional hunt and a true trophy no matter the size. Good Luck.

I will definitely be interested in knowing if you were successful (just seeing them would be successful to me).
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

we are also out for pred. hunting as well however if we do find the heard and take one (even a photo for that matter) this will be the 1st place to know. We already have everything locked up and ready to roll.. just waiting on the TGIF fever to kick in and we are off and running. Really excited about this our chances are about as slim as rosie o'donnel attending a weight watchers seminar.. but you never know in alaska.. stranger things have happened.

Default Be Prepared!!!

Hope you have a great hunt, just please be prepared. Take some extra dry clothes in case you get wet. Several means to start a fire, some food. Let someone know where you are going and when to start looking. A hunt plan. Have been out with a few folks that were simply not prepared. The cold this time of year can be deadly. I never go anywhere without the gear I would need to spend the night. I have spent 3 nights out that were only going to be quick day trips. Only had what I needed one and of those 3 trips. That left two cold miserable nights. Don't have to hit my over the head to many times to figure it out. Real easy to get wet on a snowmachine, overflow, getting stuck and sweating trying to dig it out. A shovel and axe. Maybe a tow strap to pull each other out. I'm sure you know most or all of this. Just would hate for you to have a bad trip. Be safe and bring home the bacon. Happy Hunting!!!!!

Steve

both myself and partner are military so we know the ropes on that end (both CWLC (cold weather leadership course) certified (so we know how to make thermal shelters and such) we also have maps showing areas we will be in as well as distress flares (for fires/and to show our position) as well as a few military marking smokes (dont ask where we got them.. just know we got them) I will be bringing quite a bit of extra crap with me for the "just in case" situation .. bringing plenty of extra food/water/field items and 2 GPS units (in case one gets lost/damaged) but thank you for the helpful tips.. and I hope to bring home quite a bit of bacon.. and i might even share

Default white mts caribou

The White Mountains herd winters near the headwaters of the Tolovana, Hess Ck, and Victoria Ck and best access is off the Elliott. Not sure if that was your plan, but that's where I'd go. Saw some nice bulls from the air just above Hess Creek (Butte ck, perhaps?) a while back.
    Good luck!

we were going to head off the elliot actually but i will def. look in that area a little more in depth.. we will be glassing on friday and doing some trail riding and wolf hunting .. sat/sun will be our main bou stalking days. thank you all for your help on this.. we really hope to kick the 07 season off with a bang (pref. one from my 30-06 dropping my first alaskan bou)

got both 30-06 dialed in today.. heading out tomorrow afternoon.. will post up results sunday so stay tuned.. and wish us luck on our 1st bou hunt of 2007.. hopfully get somthing while out there and spark the itch in all of you

got back sunday eve... good times no kills but a great weekend non the less.. TONS of tracks near talava (sp?) river and about half as many in hess creek (snow was very deep).. we had a great time had one chance to drop a wolf at about 75yrds however I did not have a clean shot so we passed as he went into his den. We were using ballistic rounds for the 30-06 so the distance wasnt a problem... the fact that a clear shot on the wolf was not present we just passed.

we are planning on giving it another go here in the next week or 2

we got the itch for sure though and really are looking forward to the bear hunt comming up in april

Mark

Default Sounds like a great time!

How were the temps? And how were the trails?

I'm assuming you snowmobiled?

Default Thanks

Good call on the wolf... I know they are overpopulated, but that doesn't justify taking chancy shots. I know it's tempting. They're an awesome animal just to watch sometimes.

Like I said,,,,,, tracks... tracks.... tracks.... that has been my luck up there. It's addicting though, you keep going back thinking this time will be "the" time.

I'm pretty sure it's just one caribou running around in circles in the snow.

Thanks for the follow-up. Please post your reports again.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

heavy heavy track marks even those from a few bear.. tons of wolf tracks as well.

Just spoke with a fellow from my work and he was lucky enough to drop on 20 miles away from where we were.. 300yrd shot the heard they took from was 30-40 deep so faily small. they sat on a knoll and waited for them to walk by and were lucky enough to take one.. so kudo's to them