Thread: Kenai Trip

Default Kenai Trip

My wife and I are debarking our cruise ship early Saturday Aug 5 in Anchorage. We'd like to drive down to the Kenai to sightsee and possibly do a day of fishing Sunday after staying at a camp Saturday night. Any advice for a short trip like this? I know some camps only have big cabins, and I'm not sure how they put together fishing trips if there's only one or two anglers who want to go out. The wife doesn't love fishing enough to spend $200 so if that's the rate per person then she'd want to stay back at the camp and maybe do some nature watching. If you'd have any advice I'd appreciate it.

Try the following. http://www.anglerslodge.com/ I run a B&B real close to them and I send all of my customers to them. They are the best that I've found for fishing and the how they treat guests. Good luck.

www.mikesbritishguns.us

I'll give Angler's Lodge a call. Are there any camps on the river where a person can have a chance of catching something from the bank in early August or do the silvers hang around the mouth of the river at that time?

One option for bank fishing in early August is the Russian River. There's a campground there, but if you're looking for a cabin there are plenty of nearby B&B and cabin rental places in Cooper Landing. If you're willing to hike 30-45 minutes up towards the falls (the upper reaches of the legal fishing area), I almost guarantee that you'll be able to get into some red (sockeye salmon). By this point in the season the infamous crowds of the Russian River will have mostly subsided, thus leaving you with solitude and fish. You'll have a good chance of seeing a bear as well, thus fulfilling the nature watching aspect of it. The only negative is that a lot of the salmon will be getting spawning colors by then. There are still plenty of good eating fish on Aug. 6th, but you may have to sift through some older ones to get to the good ones. If you're not willing to hike upstream 3 miles you may not get into as many fish, as they tend to congregate towards the upper reaches later in the season.

Incidentally, there is a small silver run in the Russian as well, though the earliest I've caught one there is about the 12th. As for silvers in the Kenai, they might be trickling in by then, but it's still a tad early.

Here's a picture of what the Russian looks like in early August. No crowds, lots of red fish, and a few nice fresh sockeye mixed in (and lots of fat rainbows too!) One of my favorite times to fish the river...

Hi BM,

I read your post about the Kenai in early Aug. I'm planning a trip to Grouse Ridge in Wasilla for early Aug of 2007 (AK State Sporting Clays Championship).

Are there any guides that can take me to the place on the Russian river in your picture?

Thanks for your help.

brad g.
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Brad,
    I know there are some guides based in Cooper Landing that will take you on a hike upriver to fish, but if you have your own gear it wouldn't really be necessary. I can give you pretty simple directions on how to get there. It's about a 3.5 mile hike one way, but the terrain is pretty easy. Beautiful place to wet a line, eh?

-Brian

Can you give me directions on how to hike to the upper Russian? Also, is Gwin's pretty typical of cabins in that area? Are there any other spots worth driving or hiking to for sightseeing, etc.? Is there a lake near Cooper Landing that would be any good for fishing or is the river the way to go?
    Thanks for the help. Is the area around Soldotna much different from Cooper Landing? That is, is it worth a drive to see it?
    Lou

Cooper Landing is prettier than Soldotna. Red fishing is better in Soldotna.

My wife and i take a trip to the kenai once or twice a year. She is used to the creature comforts, may or may not feel like fishing. The only place she really enjoys is a place by the Moose River in Sterling. She can sit on deck and just watch the river (and fish) go by. The place is Bill White's Alaska Sport Lodge. First class people that own the place and really nice accomodations.

Cheers,
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by B_M
    Brad,
    I know there are some guides based in Cooper Landing that will take you on a hike upriver to fish, but if you have your own gear it wouldn't really be necessary. I can give you pretty simple directions on how to get there. It's about a 3.5 mile hike one way, but the terrain is pretty easy. Beautiful place to wet a line, eh?

-Brian
    Hi Brian,

Can you recommend a few guides here or is it best to pm me? Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com