Thread: lake trolling?

Default lake trolling?

Was gonna put the boat in the water for the first time next week and Im gonna do a lake first so that I can work out any kinks and get used to the way it handles before I put it in a stream. I was thinking big lake or nancy lake cause they are reasonable driving distance from the house. Do either one of those lakes have a better boat launch than the other?

Question is can you troll for trout? If so what do I need to do it? How fast should I drag the gear through the water?
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I could tell ya buuuut....your a Bears fan....

If I HAVE to fish the valley, I go to Nancy. Fewer rules and better chance of a larger pike.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Of course you can troll for trout.How fast or slow depends on what you're dragging behind the boat.As a general rule---slower is better.Them fish gotta be able to catch your lure.

In some instances I disagree. Usually, slower is better. Depending on the pattern, I have trolled up to 6 MPH GPS for trout. It all depends on their mood.

I watched a guy a couple weeks ago get skunked, he was going 1/3 the speed that I was. I was leaving him behind at 1/3 MPH GPS.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    Your just as bad Laker!! the Packers suck!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    AGAIN?!!?!

So what do I drag behind me? Spinners? Should I stick it on a planer or just leave it on the end of the line?

Quote Originally Posted by STEELHED View Post
    Your just as bad Laker!! the Packers suck!!!!!!
    I don't really know how to take that comment.....coming from a STEELERS fan.....you must still be in denial......

There's also finger lake.

You've seen my boat so I don't pay attention much to boat launch facilities.

As for trolling I've had good success with the LuhrJensen trolling flashers. setup is simple... 6 lb mainline to a 3 way swivel with the bottom swivel having a 1/2 to 3/4 oz weight on a 2ft leader, the leader side of the swivel is attached to a LuhrJensen Trolling flasher, although any flasher is good, and following the flasher is a 24" leader with a hook carrying you're favorite bait.

I troll with a canoe and usually with only me paddling effectively so pretty slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post

You've seen my boat so I don't pay attention much to boat launch facilities.

As for trolling I've had good success with the LuhrJensen trolling flashers. setup is simple... 6 lb mainline to a 3 way swivel with the bottom swivel having a 1/2 to 3/4 oz weight on a 2ft leader, the leader side of the swivel is attached to a LuhrJensen Trolling flasher, although any flasher is good, and following the flasher is a 24" leader with a hook carrying you're favorite bait.

I troll with a canoe and usually with only me paddling effectively so pretty slow.
    favorite bait like single salmon eggs or a worm? Is there a particular bait you recommend? I see those single salmon eggs at the sports store but that stuff looks cheap and dont think its much good.

Is there a reason why the hook is so far behind the flasher?

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    Finger has some nice fish...IMG_0103.jpgIMG_0100.jpg

thats what the manufacture for the flasher rig recommended, and it seems to work.

as for bait I just have the cheap looking single salmon eggs in the jar from any sporting section. they seem to work just fine. Worms, small shrimp, powerbait, minnows are all suppose to work too. I'm not going to claim "expert" status here at all just I've caught quite a number of fish from the KB lake system on that setup.

The 2 foot leader is to impart a swivelling action to the bait.And single eggs do work.Worms always catch trout.Another option is a gang troll flasher.Its a series of 3 to 5 flashers with a 1-2 foot leader following behind that you put a bait on:worm chunk,single egg,corn or whatever .

Awesome. Well Ill go to the sporting goods store and snag some of them flashers. All the rest of the gear I already gots. Im assuming finger lake has a boat launch then as well.

Those are some nice fish there laker taker!

Finger lake has a alright boat launch. Troll around the islands and deep in some coves there
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Took the boat out for the test run today. It ran great. It got it through some of the shallow water just to see how low it sat. If Im moving at a reasonable pace it got through 18-24 in with zero issues. Of course that was soft bottom stuff.

We trolled some flasher (my setup needs work on these the kept getting knotted up) and some hot shot wiggle lures as well as a few vibrax.

The hot shots killed em. We hooked up about 12-15, 8-14 in trout. Nothing big but they still fight pretty good even for small fish. We let pretty much all of em go and just save the ones we accidentally mangled getting the hooks out which was 4 of the larger ones.

We wanted a few bigger ones but I cant complain about a good day on the lake and hooking into 15 fish small or not.

Way to go c6-batmobile
    Glad to hear you finally got your new boat wet---and caught a few fish too.Good on ya dude..........

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    Way to go c6-batmobile
    Glad to hear you finally got your new boat wet---and caught a few fish too.Good on ya dude..........
    Thanks! Some of that gear came in handy today! I cant thank you enough you're a class act guy.

So what lake did you go to ? Any problems with boat or motor ? If you had any issues you know there are a lot of "experts" here to help you out.All you have to do is ask.....
    And I'm glad some of that gear was helpful,and hope you'll get to use all of it in time.It helps me to not pack extra stuff south.I'll probably try that scotch tonite so thanks back at ya........
    Mark

I hit finger lake. No problems that I can tell. The motor ran great and got on step pretty well even with 3 people in it. After I dropped them off and went out on my own it really got going. The true test will be some moving water or some ocean water.