Thread: Copper Flooding

Exclamation Copper Flooding

Issued by The National Weather Service
    Anchorage, AK Updated Jul 14, 2011, 2:10pm AKDT

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ANCHORAGE HAS ISSUED A
    * SMALL STREAM FLOOD ADVISORY FOR THE KENNICOTT RIVER IN THE COPPER RIVER BASIN
    * UNTIL 1130 AM AKDT FRIDAY
    * AT 1131 AM AKDT HIDDEN LAKE... WHICH IS DAMMED BY THE KENNICOTT GLACIER... HAS BEGUN TO RELEASE CAUSING A SIGNIFICANT RISE ON THE KENNICOTT RIVER AT MCCARTHY. THE KENNICOTT RIVER WATER LEVELS PRIOR TO THE RELEASE WERE AT 20.5 FT BUT HAD RAPIDLY RISEN TO 22.2 FT EARLY THURSDAY MORNING.
    THIS IS A YEARLY EVENT OCCURRING IN THE MID TO LATE SUMMER. WATER LEVELS ON THE KENNICOTT RIVER ARE ALSO RISING DUE TO RAIN ON THURSDAY. A TOTAL RISE OF 3-4 FEET CAN BE EXPECTED AT MCCARTHY.
    PERSONS LIVING OR TRAVELING IN THE VICINITY OF THE KENNICOTT RIVER ARE URGED TO REMAIN ALERT FOR RISING WATER AND POSSIBLE MINOR FLOODING. PERSONS TRAVELING TO THIS AREA FOR RECREATION SHOULD AVOID PARKING OR CAMPING IN ANY LOW LYING AREAS NEAR THE RIVER CROSSING TO MCCARTHY. THE CHITINA AND COPPER RIVERS WILL EXPERIENCE MODERATE RISES IN WATER LEVELS AS THE GLACIER DAMMED LAKE OUTBURST PROGRESSES DOWNRIVER.

Hem reports rapidly rising water with lots of debris. Be careful.

Three years ago, I was sleep fishing with my special weed-eater extension handle, and caught a tree going by. I woke up and thought I saw a giant king in my net, so I wouldn't let go. My buddy next to me had to grab me and jerk the net loose.

~tr