Thread: Dipnetting Safe For 2007

Default Dipnetting Safe For 2007

BOF voted down both dip net proposals....to limit bag to same as sport bag and not allow fishing until after the BEG is reached. Mr Vanek will most likely re-submit his proposals for the UCI meeting next year....he has until April 10 and the board seemed inclined to consider his proposal as not being appropriate for a statewide meeting as virtually all of the comments were about Cook Inlet. Be prepared to face these again in 2008.

Default Count me in!

Gusdog, thanks for the update. Let me know when it is time to get the torches and pitchforks. We'll shut down this knucklehead the next time he brings forth these proposals.

Channel 2 News reported that the proposals were defeated due to "Overwhelming public outcry". 'Well done' to everyone who took the time to write and/or call the BOF.

Special thanks go to Ken Frederico from Wasilla....he was very eloquent and had the facts straight. He is trying to form a statewide dipnet group and will be at the Anchorage Sportsman show to talk to people.

A note from the BOF meeting - looks like they have done away with mandatory windows for sockeye escapement. You can dip but no more predictability of the fish being there.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by OneRound View Post
    .....We'll shut down this knucklehead the next time he brings forth these proposals....
    I agree.

It's too bad one selfish clown can cause so much trouble.

Channel 2 News reported that the proposals were defeated due to "Overwhelming public outcry". 'Well done' to everyone who took the time to write and/or call the BOF.
    Again, I agree.

Well done to all who wrote, called, and testified.

enjoy it now, cause I sure the same proposal will be back on the table this winter. I'm so happy it was defeated.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Ken Frederico

Gusdog, Do you know how we can contact and volunteer our services and support to Ken Frederico? Thanks.

Default PM

Gusdog,
    I saw your message on the other string re this, and I'll send you a PM about contacting Ken.
    Best,
    OR

Default Contacting Ken?

Hey, this is federico or my mom really calls me Ken. I can be reached at Federico@ptialaska.net or my cell is 715-8363. I'm that Carpenter/single father that is mentioned once a week in the articles @ dip netting. We won the battle but are about to lose the war. No more Comm windows( not fishing) come End of July till August. Lets rally the troops. I have petitions in the printers. Call me Thanks Ken

Default the whoop 2000 approach

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Hey, this is federico or my mom really calls me Ken. I can be reached at Federico@ptialaska.net or my cell is 715-8363. I'm that Carpenter/single father that is mentioned once a week in the articles @ dip netting. We won the battle but are about to lose the war. No more Comm windows( not fishing) come End of July till August. Lets rally the troops. I have petitions in the printers. Call me Thanks Ken
    I posted on this on another thread but really I would suggest that federico you contact ADF&G and get your facts correct. Talk to Jeff Fox at ADF&G Soldotna. The petition says nothing about not having windows - it says that windows will go if the number of fish entering the river is going to exceed the upper end of the escapement goals - that mean that even at the minimum run strengths to the Kenai that nearly 850,000 fish will probably go by the sonar counter. ADF&G wants to keep the escapement goals in the correct range.

So please do not spread the idea that this will end everything come the end of July. Also, if you look at the data the windows have little to do with the final escapement levels. Fish come when they want to come and there are no correlations between the windows and when fish entered the system. So do not panic and cause conflict when it does not need to happen.

This is exactly what happened in areas outside Alaska and resources were lost. Giving up escapement objectives for user needs is just wrong management.

If you want more fish for personal use fisherman ask that the goals be increased to provide for that allocation. However, it is hard to see how personal use fisherman have not met their needs. If you look at the statistics over half of the personal use fisherman only make one trip to the Kenai to fish and they take only 30% of their allocated harvest.

So most people do not fish the time they have available in the present season.

I can tell you that if you have misinformation or try to make wild statements the Board of Fish will not pay attention. Relative to Vaneck's proposal it was dead on arrival. The Board of Fish never would pass it and will not pass it in 2008 - even the commercial fishing organizations of UCI did not support it. So this is one angry individual who was off base and created lots of anger when none needed to be created.

After attending over 20 Board of Fish meetings from both sides of the fence I can only advise you to get good information and then take a position.

Just a suggestion.