Thread: bugs

Default bugs

Was wondering if anyone uses the thermacells (I believe thats what they are called) Do they work well? The skeeters get nast sitting in the stand during bear season. seen them advertised on the outdoor network an awful lot but that doessnt mean they work anyone use them.

Default I dont know....but

I am not sure about in a stand, but we tried one on the dalton this summer. It didnt work worth a squat! LOL

Default Skeeters

I went caribou hunting with a friend back in september who brought one up with him. I didn't really believe him but he swore that it worked. I just used the spray and that was good enoughe and when the going got toughe out came the bug net. But he claimed that it worked so maybe someday I might try one.

This is the thread that recently discussed its usefullness. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ght=Thermacell

Default thermacell

thanks guys judging by all the positive feedback on the archives I guess I will buy one and try it out. Last year was absolutely miserable even with bug net on sitting in the tree waitin for blackie to show up. I thik I spent more time swatting than watching for mr bear. Im willing to try anything at this point. Just dont like using the bug spray while hunting.

Default Alaska skeeters

You have to remember some of these mosquitoes up here can stand flatfooted and rape a turkey, and normal repellents don't sway them........

Plus, if you swat at one, a million of its kin will come swarming.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default bug dope

You said that you don't want to use spray in your stand. Something that I have done for several years which you might want to try is leaving an old shirt or rag on your stand and soaking it down with bug dope every time you're there. That way the smell is always there and the bears (hopefully) get used to it. It has worked well for me.

Default Wear your shirt.

Wear your shirt and buy a thermacell, they work!!!! The shirt trick does work. Not trying to be a smart but. But that thermacell is incredible. Last year on the bear stand I had thousands of skeeters and blackfies. After 10 minutes I removed my mask and enjoyed my hunt. The wind does reduce effectiveness. I can't over state how good these things are. Even with bug dope they still drive you crazy flying around year ears. If you start it in your truck it also helps keep them out of your truck while you are getting ready. No deet to cause all the problems that go with it. Not for windy days, but for the calm bear stand they are the @#it!!!!

Steve

Default thanks again

thanks again guys I think you have me convinced to buy one. I have done the shirt in the stand thing but never with bug dope just left the shirt I walk in and sweated in to get them used to my stink. Maybe try both. I think I will get the thermacell and not tell my hunting buddy and then laugh at him sitting in the tree a few yards away from me and have him wonder why im not getting bothered. dirty I know but would be funny.

UNFORGIVEABLE is more like it
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Default thermacell

to all of you who have used them cabelas lists 3 different ones the oc potable unit, the real tree unit, and the lantern wich do you use. The realtree looks exactly like the portable one and has the same features so im guessing thats why its 5 dollars more but what about the lantern. Do you hang em above your head on the tree or just off your belt loop. Sorry for so many questions I just have bear fever a little early 2 months away. Now all I need to do is the hardest part. Getting on the treadmill and working off some of the kenai river brewery jugs I have emptied all winter ha ha ha
    Good luck fellow baiters cant wait for pictures

the O.D. portable http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...cell&noImage=0 for 21.99 is what I use. Don't need to pay for camo, or a light. I just set it on the floor of the stand between my feet. The "smoke" radiates up and around me. In a two man stand, one is all you need and one pad will last for the majority of the night. You don't need to run it continuously, just depending on how severe the mosquitoes are. These things are awesome, makes bear baiting bearable....pun intended. Everyone is right, they dont' work in the wind, but then again if you have wind, the mosquitoes aren't as bothersome, if at all. I've had bears come from downwind, circle, look at us, they don't seem to mind. Had a huge griz circle us. Didn't stop him from coming in and checking out the barrel. We keep a super sweet bait station with plenty of over-powering smells. I don't think the thermacell's scent persists above the bait and scent enough to take the bears brain off the food. That's been my experience anyway....
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by geoff156 View Post
    I think I will get the thermacell and not tell my hunting buddy and then laugh at him sitting in the tree a few yards away from me and have him wonder why im not getting bothered. dirty I know but would be funny.
    Or buy a second and inform him it cost $50. I use the green portable. Seems like I saw a case to use it in when hiking ect.

Thumbs up Thermacell options

I have the inexpensive OD one, I see no need in spending the extra $5 or $10 for a camo coating. I also have the holster that Bighorn is talking about and you are better off spending the money saved for that. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...136&hasJS=true It is definetly worth the $10 bucks. Pouches on the side for refills and butane. Can strap it to a belt, leg or tree. I agree with the theory, if the wind is blowing then the bugs are too...the little ones anyways. ;-)

I love mine.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Three years experience with Thermacells...

I got a Thermacell unit when they first came out three years ago and I must say they are the best thing to hit the scene since gun powder! When they first came out they were only offered in camo, then they came out with the lantern model (good for around the cabin or camp). Now I see that they charge extra for camo and the regular unit is OD green color... save your money and get OD. I don't know about your mosquitos in Alaska, but here in Maine we've got black flys and mosquitos the size of ptarmigan... and Thermacell keep them away. The units work in about a fifteen foot circle unless there's a breeze. We've used several Thermacells on bear bait stands and the bears don't seem to smell them (which I find incredible). The refill units (3 pads & 1 butane cartridge) sell for $7 to $8 and last about 12 hours... so they're alot more expensive than deet, but well worth it. We still wear the camo bug suit jackets and carry the head net (just in case). If you get one, buy the holster to carry it and the extra refills... it's well worth it. One other thing to note: Thermacell is now selling a "conversion kit" which consists of a clip-on metal platform to hold a felt pad - to which you can apply deer or moose scent. The heated scent works very well until the temperature drops below freezing and then the butane freezes and the unit does not work at all! But all in all, thermacells are great unit!