Thread: Fishing Trip Help

Default Fishing Trip Help

I will arrive in Anchorage Aug. 7th for my annual "get out a town" trip. I'll rent a car and spend the next 3 weeks trying to wear out a fly rod. I'm shipping my camping gear in advance, so as soon as I pick it up I'll sotck up on groceries, visit the fly shops and strike out. My primary targets are Bows & Dollies and Grayling. I have no itinerary, but the general plan is to spend a week in the Paxson area, a week on the Parks Hwy. and a week on the Kenai. I'm open to any suggestions for other areas or places (walk-in, fly-in, whatever) .

I am wondering if anyone has any idea as to which order would be best for these places? Last year I caught a few Pike on the Kenai and had a blast, so I'd really like to find a good area to catch more.

Thanks in advance,

You should be able to do well fly fishing on the parks for grayling and bows (Willow is great). Kenai is also great for world class rainbow fishing.

for pike I'd consider flying into Alexander Lake, its a pretty cheap flight from willow and there are plenty of pike.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Can you wade or do you need a boat? I have an NRS inflatable Kayak. Is there a place to camp or is one day enough?