Thread: Food/Hydration Supplements

Default Food/Hydration Supplements

Has anyone tried the products from Wilderness Athlete? http://www.wildernessathlete.com/Home2.aspx

Was thinking of their hydration powders for sheep and goat hunt this year.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

hydration powder? is that like instant water, just add water?

We use the Cytomax- you can get it at REI, or online at a better price. Really helps in hot weather or when working hard. Great stuff, and tastes pretty good too.

The hydrate powder seems to help, I am not absolutely convinced yet. The energy and focus powder will deffinately jump start you, don't know if its good for you but it will kick you in gear, it is LOADED with caffine. I would have to say I prefer the mega men vitamins from gnc over theres. I feel like I do a little better in the workouts when I have taken the hydrate powder over ones I haven't, but could be a mental thing, idk

I used both on a bear hunt and then a goat hunt two years ago. They have their place.

The hydration powder was good, but as with any electrolyte powder you shouldn't use it 100% for hydration. I drank two bottles of water to one bottle with the powder. When I drank too much of the hydrate powder without more water I started getting some cramps in my legs.

I wouldn't recommend the energy powder unless you use it for the very last push to get back to camp. It has a bunch of caffeine, which will come with a crash afterwards and will also make you urinate a lot. I used it to get to the top of a mountain while hunting and a couple of hours later I was crashing and very dehydrated. It may be o.k. for first thing in the morning, similar to a morning cup of coffee, because it will get you going and when the crash would come you'll be at the peak of the day when you are most awake.

I look back at my first sheep hunt where I drank only water and never had any problems staying hydrated. I'm thinking that's the way to go.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

shaklee performance...aka magic juice as my clients now call it. stuff makes all the difference in the world. i won't try the WA stuff cause i have something that works so well. recover faster, cramp less, drink less, sweat WAY less, feel twice as good...why change? been usuing it for several years, 6 maybe?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

ya that stuff is tops, its what the US SKI TEAM uses for their hydration drinks...its amazing stuff.
    Master guide 212

What happens to the body when you push large amounts of supplements in one stretch of exercise?

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    ya that stuff is tops, its what the US SKI TEAM uses for their hydration drinks...its amazing stuff.
    Just wondering how much of the stuff and how often you use it on a 10 day hunt?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I use the WA products "Energy and Focus" as well as the "Hydrate and Recover" powders, while hunting in the steep. I buy them by the can and put them into ziplock baggies. I find it's a great way to start the day with hot water, and to finish the day after hiking hard. During the day, I'm usually sucking water. I have had no complaints using that product and i like the way it tastes to boot! Its always a "must" on my list. Good luck!

After training high school athletes for the past ten years, supplementation begins long before the "game." Use them during the training leading up to your hunt and there won't be any surprises. Stuck on a mountain with cramps or the jitters doesn't sound fun to me.

Now there is some good advice.

every water bottle i drink on a sheep hunt is my magic juice, i make sure i end the day with one, seems to help keep anything from cramping and my muslces seem to feel better in the AM when i crawl outa the sack.
    i bring one gallon ziploc bag of it with me...will last a whole trip, even if i break down and share it with my client!
    Master guide 212