Thread: Butte Lake

Anchorage, Alaska, United States

Default Butte Lake

Anyone ever hunted the Butte Lake area south of the Denali highway? Just wondering about access from the road. Is it too far to the high country around it to hoof it? is the ground marshy/swampy/muskeg until I reach the hills? Is there a sign on the highway that indicates when I am near Butte Lake? Never been on the Denali Highway in my 27 years as a lifelong Alaskan so any info about the area and the road is news to me. Thanks

Well - I certainly hope you get more current info than this, but you gotta start somewhere, right? I shot my first caribou ever along the trail back to Butte Lake. I was 11 years old, hunting with my dad and sister. We went back there with a Catagator track rig, can't remember how far back we were because this was in 1972.

I remember that the trail back to Butte Lake is somewhere east of the Brushkana creek campground on the Denali, and I think the campground is at mile 115. Again, this isn't much data for you, but it's a starting point at least.

And - WHAT?? You've been in AK for 27 years, and have NEVER traveled the Denail Highway?? That country is too beautiful to miss, get there on a scouting/camping trip pronto!

Big Lake

The butte lake trail is pretty marshy and on wet years it's pretty difficult. There can be caribou down most of the trails between cantwell and the big Su. My experience has been they are there or they are not. I've seen groups of 500 or spend three days and only seen a cow and calf on a distant hillside. I prefer the rockier trails at the big Su going up butte creek or crossing it and continuing to jay creek. It's all great country and lots of great vistas.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author