Thread: belt dust

Default belt dust

Anybody else notice a lot of belt dust comming off their Volvo diesel engines?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I've found a solution to belt dust. I use those green Gates belts. They're made for indoor generators so they don't create a lot of dust.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I've found a solution to belt dust. I use those green Gates belts. They're made for indoor generators so they don't create a lot of dust.

Wow! Thanks for that tip! My Isuzu is a great engine, but the belt dust is pretty brutal.

I had a volvo gas engine sterndrive that I bought used and it made a lot of dust. The culpret was a belt wheel with some corrosion in the belt groove. Other culprets are mis-aligned pulleys. Mine was so bad that going from Auke Bay to Port Snettisham I completely wore out a new belt... good thing I had a spare to make it home one (it was toast too when I arrived at the dock). A new pulley wheel solved my problem.

Sobie2

I have the Volvo D4 260 and have very little belt dust. I have noticed a little around the pulleys, but not much.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Great tip as Gates makes great belts. Another one would be to make sure the dang things are not going slippy slippy all the way home as this makes dust and makes em dust.......Sometimes they don't squeal, they just slip and it is something to look for to.