Thread: Kenai or Kasilof that is the question?

Default Kenai or Kasilof that is the question?

With the large OTF #ís of redís coming into the inlet, just wondering where the fish are headed? Do you all think they are mostly bound for the Kenai or do you think a good number of them will hook a hard right a bit south and go up the Kasilof?

I sure wish ADFG would get home addresses on these fish caught by the OTF so we all know
    The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

HOOAH

I don't know where all the fish are headed, but I do know that everyone and their brother are headed to Kenai this weekend - if not already there! It's gonna be a madhouse

Quote Originally Posted by TMS View Post
    I don't know where all the fish are headed, but I do know that everyone and their brother are headed to Kenai this weekend - if not already there! It's gonna be a madhouse
    It's always a madhouse. Unless you choose to fish when the fish ain't there.

On the road now so we'll see how it is down there.

Actually it tends to be a madhouse after the first peak of the run, which is when the fish aren't in the strongest. Once the ADN announces that they have arrived, then the hoards descend. Trouble is, by the time the spike is announced, you've missed it.

As I was opining with a buddy yesterday, OTF tells you they will be showing up soon, and sonar tells you you missed them. The key is balancing those reports with some luck.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

KENAI will be the location

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    What are you basing this on? If you have any correlating info or experience to explain...I'm curious.

AZinAK

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    Ha Ha, did the fish caught by the Offshore Test Fishing boat have "Kenai" tatooed on them?
    The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

HOOAH

I think he will be at Kasilof, so tell everyone else to go to Kenai so that Kasilof won't be crowded

Ain't nothing happening down here. Sloooow.

Kenai has much bigger fish, and gets a lot more in total. I'd say they are going to the KENAI.

Me, Me, ask me - -

Er, Uh - Both!

Quote Originally Posted by REMF View Post
    With the large OTF #ís of redís coming into the inlet, just wondering where the fish are headed? Do you all think they are mostly bound for the Kenai or do you think a good number of them will hook a hard right a bit south and go up the Kasilof?

I sure wish ADFG would get home addresses on these fish caught by the OTF so we all know
    If I was YOU, I'd go to the Kasilof.

Personally, I'll be dipping for the big ones on the Kenai.

Quote Originally Posted by REMF View Post
    They are heading all over the inlet. Stock from different rivers are all mixed together in the inlet.

See previous year's thread on the subject.

~tr

So if one was to make a suicide run down to the kenai for an afternoon / evening next week would it be better to try on Tuesday when the nets aren't out, or Wednesday the day after no nets ? I guess what I am wondering is if when the nets are out does it take a day ffor the fish to get into the river, or if you wait till Wed. can the nets right at the head of the bay essentially contain the big surge?

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    So if one was to make a suicide run down to the kenai for an afternoon / evening next week would it be better to try on Tuesday when the nets aren't out, or Wednesday the day after no nets ? I guess what I am wondering is if when the nets are out does it take a day ffor the fish to get into the river, or if you wait till Wed. can the nets right at the head of the bay essentially contain the big surge?
    Tuesday. No doubt about it.

Default Overnighter to Kasilof

I took the family down to the Kasilof earlier this week and the dipnetting was more than slow. After two days and only one red we decided to call it quits and head home early.

I'm thinking about heading down solo on Tuesday to catch the incoming afternoon tide and stay at least until the early am tide is in. I can offer an open seat or I would like to catch a ride if anyone has similar plans. Either way, splitting the driving and fuel always makes the trip a little easier.

Thanks

Kenai - location based on generally larger fish and more fish than the Kasilof

Quote Originally Posted by BigDipper View Post
    Tuesday. No doubt about it.
    Not to toot my own horn, but I said Tuesday, and I went Tuesday, and we put 136 fish in the boat in about 3.5 hours. Not too bad!!