Thread: Personal Locater Beacon.......Help choosing/buying

Default Personal Locater Beacon.......Help choosing/buying

I have decided to buy a PLB, and need help choosing which brand/model. I don't want a SPOT, I don't want to be tracked, I just want to be rescued from a bad fall when hiking/climbing solo. My falls tend to happen in the vary back of narrow side gulch's, with steep walls. Thank You.

Spot tracks you only if you have subscribed to that option...

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysfishn View Post
    Spot tracks you only if you have subscribed to that option...
    I don't want to subscribe to any options. I just don't see how it can work if I fall into a chute, and the only opening is straight up. I am ONLY interested in being rescued from a very bad fall, if I can crawl out, I will (and have) crawl out. I want the highest probability of rescue tool.

The ACR microfix is probably the best option for what you are doing in the area that you are doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The ACR microfix is probably the best option for what you are doing in the area that you are doing it.
    Thank You, Do you use this unit........? I think that is the unit that "Eagle Enterprises" recommends also.

Just a point of interest....406 Meg is a line of sight signal and if you are stuck in an ice crevas the signal may or may not get out to the bird depending upon where it is when it passes.

121.5 is potentially worse since it will bounce around before it gets to SARSAT. Back when I was flying SAR missions for CAP I spent 3 weeks looking for a Cessna twin enrounte from Dillingham to ANC that we had a great fix on the ELT from the bird and it turned out that the signal was bouncing from the location of the crash to a mountain 20 miles across the valley and then up to the bird. The plane had hit the mountain 100' or so from the top and was covered with snow. As the signal from the ELT was dying, the AF C-130 on a training mission found the actual crash site by flying well about the site weeks later.

That said, it is still a good idea to get one and like a gun, keep it with you all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    This one. I did the research a couple of years ago and ended up with it. I can't tell you that I fell in a hole and it saved my life, but it still works after going on the boat a few times.

Well, also look at the Mcmurdo fastfinds. Half the price of ACR and half the size. Cost less than a spot and a years subscription and you just replace the battery. Mine needs battery replaced every 5 years and came with free batteries for life. Carry it everywhere, never had to use it. Seems to be well tested as they have been out for a while and were tested extensively as part of their contract with the coast guard. (No I have no connection to them)
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear