Thread: Dall sheep

Default Dall sheep

Hello everyone I know its been awhile but now that me and my daughter have finished our amazing black bear hunt In canada. I am still very interested in the Dall sheep hunt I talked about a year ago I have not stopped Researching as far as Equipment and boots and packs go I have a pretty good Ideal on what to use but am still very open to suggestions. I have read tony russ and watched every dvd I could find. As far as my back surgery went I am techincally considered ''Handicapped'' but still manage to hold down my full time maintance job and can still do most things I want and the one I want the most is to hunt sheep in the Brooks with a honest. Sincere. and hard working guide. I have a few names I would like to get some feed back on you can p.m me if you like they are Dan reynolds,Tom walton, and Jonah stewart and anyone else you might suggest. Thanks charlie

What happen did I say something wrong??

For some of the best sheep hunting gear go to http://captivatemoutdoors.com/ great people they will set you up.

Wally Robinson

check the gear forum near the bottom of the main page. There is quite a bit there on sheep gear. Here in Anchorage there are a few good places to get the type of gear that you would want for a hunt like this. Barney's Sports (also a forum sponsor) is my choice.

Come on now folks, the man is looking for some feedback on GUIDES, not gear. Shoot him a note if you know anything about those guides, help stimulate the business of those guides who do it right!

well, you did say you are open to suggestions on gear. No idea on guides though. There are a few on this board though.

if you mean Dan Reynolds from the Yukon I have heard nothing but good things about him.

Not to be a downer but residents probably don't have that information unless they know a guide personally. A few might hire a guide but most wouldn't because they're expensive and residents don't require one.

Now, if the talk turns to air taxi's then I imagine you'd get a lot more feedback.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Charlie,

I hunted with Max Schwab in 07.

PM sent.

Yeah, Max is a tough guy and worth the kwan spent.
    Was a sponsor here for years, dunno about now.
    He'll get you on sheep.

Also check out Nate Turner in Fbks. Stand up guy.
    Proud to be an American!

Charlie, not sure what changes we may see up north with sheep hunting opportunities for nonresidents in 2012. But something to consider now is that in areas with general season hunts for nonres and res, there are crowding and conflict issues happening that can deter from a guided hunt. So in that sense I would highly recommend a guide who has an exclusive concession lease on fed lands where things aren't as crowded among competing guides.

Dan Reynolds has an exclusive concession area in the western Yukon Territory, it's in the Olgilvies though, not the Brooks. They run horses and super cubs for access, can't say enough good things about that outfit, if you're looking for a Fannin that is really your only guided option these days.

I also would recommend Nate Turner, great guy, all fair chase hunts, he has an exclusive concession area in Gates of the Arctic preserve:
    http://www.alaskan-adventures.net/Hunts/Sheep%20Page.html

Another I would highly recommend is Thor Stacey, who has an exclusive concession area in ANWR in eastern Unit 26. Can't find Thor's web info offhand, he used to do some guiding for Nate too. Thor is marine veteran, committed to fair chase hunts, really knows the land and animals, can't go wrong on any of his hunts.

Another I would highly recommend is Jake Jefferson, our own BRWNBR who posts here, but not sure where Jake is doing sheep hunts these days:
    http://www.blackriverhunting.com/dall_sheep.htm

Best,

Thanks everyone for your help I will reread all your post many times and look into every piece of advice and recommendation please keep it up. Thanks again Charlie

Just here wishing I was there. Any news how everyone is doing? No matter their having fun.

It is a good rifle, and kilt the bear that kilt me. Anyway, I am dead. Sincerley, Hatchet Jack.

everyone reccomends Jim Kedrowski. He is also a taxidermist at Arctic Fox taxidermy in Wasilla.
    (we just dropped off some sheep horns to him.)

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Charlie, not sure what changes we may see up north with sheep hunting opportunities for nonresidents in 2012. But something to consider now is that in areas with general season hunts for nonres and res, there are crowding and conflict issues happening that can deter from a guided hunt. So in that sense I would highly recommend a guide who has an exclusive concession lease on fed lands where things aren't as crowded among competing guides.

Dan Reynolds has an exclusive concession area in the western Yukon Territory, it's in the Olgilvies though, not the Brooks. They run horses and super cubs for access, can't say enough good things about that outfit, if you're looking for a Fannin that is really your only guided option these days.

I also would recommend Nate Turner, great guy, all fair chase hunts, he has an exclusive concession area in Gates of the Arctic preserve:
    http://www.alaskan-adventures.net/Hunts/Sheep%20Page.html

Another I would highly recommend is Thor Stacey, who has an exclusive concession area in ANWR in eastern Unit 26. Can't find Thor's web info offhand, he used to do some guiding for Nate too. Thor is marine veteran, committed to fair chase hunts, really knows the land and animals, can't go wrong on any of his hunts.

Another I would highly recommend is Jake Jefferson, our own BRWNBR who posts here, but not sure where Jake is doing sheep hunts these days:
    http://www.blackriverhunting.com/dall_sheep.htm

Best,

Jake Jefferson is one hard working dude. You couldn't go wrong!!!