Thread: homer halibut

Default homer halibut

heading down there in july. wondering if anyone could give me any ideas on some quality captain's to go with. not necissarily looking for monsters just want to catch some and have a good time. there will be about 5 or 6 of us. thanks

k-bay charters is a good charter. They run six pack boats.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I like captain mike's
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I woked in Homer for a long season. I know quite a few of these guys, and just talked to one tonight. I'm not sure what you're looking for, P.M. me and I'll give you a half dozen names. and people to steer clear of.

I'd say stay off the bigger boats. You just have to run the numbers to realize a delta with 18 folks fishing means less fishing for you then running a 6-pack with the goal of bringing 12 fish aboard vs 36, in the same amount of time.

But the bigger boat means more baits in the water and means much more of a scent trail will be put out there, assuming they're fishing on anchor with bait. Active fishers in that situation stand a chance at hooking their fish faster. . . If you don't mind a crowd.

Default big boats

don't even think about going on a bigger boat! you have the perfect crew for a 6 pack boat... ~30 footer. you'll have a much more enjoyable experience, i promise! those big boats are about 50 footers, fish 15-20 people, and it's a huge cluster the entire time. plus the big boats are typically slower and can't get out as far as often, or at least it takes longer. summary: 6 pack - good. party boat - waist of time. that's my 2 cents
    Mark

Default Fishing charters

I like the smaller boats too for the reasons mentioned. However, if your on a budget check out Rainbow charters. Last year they were running daily trips for $100 a person. You can't beat the price.

Bob over at A-Ward has some open dates in July. Fished with him last year, 1st class Capt. all the way.

http://awardcharters.com/calendar/master.html