Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of rock fish is this?

Default What kind of rock fish is this?

Does anyone know what this is? Came up from 2700' of water out of PWS.DSC_3722.jpg

Not sure, but it sure looks surprised

I'll let someone else tell you, but I do know you were fishing VERY deep water! I caught em all the time when I use to black cod fish. Very good eating, those fish!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

AARG!!! i believe that to be a shortraker!!! live to be very old and very slow growing creature......excellent table fare, hope you ate it.....what was the size?

Release Lake Trout

Default shortracker

Yep-shortracker. There are some excellent articles on these fish. They're the oldest fish in the ocean. I remember reading some article where one was caught that was over 145 years old. Wiki says the oldest caught was 157.
    "...it's called fishing... it's not called catching..."

Luke,
    Did you get any sablefish while dragging that deep?
    BK

I pulled up one Sablefish and this short raker. But this one had lots of spikes on the head and didn't even get decompressed. One I caught before didn't have any spikes on the head and came up almost like bubble due to decompression.

Short raker was about 2 feet long and around 15#. Sable fish was about 2' long and about 10#.

Quote Originally Posted by krustydklawn View Post
    Yep-shortracker. There are some excellent articles on these fish. They're the oldest fish in the ocean. I remember reading some article where one was caught that was over 145 years old. Wiki says the oldest caught was 157.
    I'm not exactly convinced this is a shortraker due to all the strong head spines. The shortraker isn't the oldest fish, the rougheye has been aged to 205 yrs of age. The oldest shortraker that I've sampled was one that was born roughly in 1884. This was out of Whittier.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Fishgod,
    When you brought the old boy from the deep did he B*tch about all the traffic and shrimp pots in the last 20 years of his life invading his pristine waters! I'm sure in 1884 it ws a lot quieter. Did he tell you about the oil spill? Imagine if he could talk.....LOL!
    Seriously, pretty cool to catch something over 100 yrs old or more. Might be tough to bonk a fish thats survived this long....
    BK

It's a thornyhead, also known as an idiotfish....
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Fishgod,
    When you brought the old boy from the deep did he B*tch about all the traffic and shrimp pots in the last 20 years of his life invading his pristine waters! I'm sure in 1884 it ws a lot quieter. Did he tell you about the oil spill? Imagine if he could talk.....LOL!
    Seriously, pretty cool to catch something over 100 yrs old or more. Might be tough to bonk a fish thats survived this long....
    BK
    I didn't catch the Shortraker, I just extracted the otoliths and took length measurements. Although, I did cut out the cheek muscles since they didn't bother. They were the best cheeks I've ever had.

Keying it out based on the head spines, it looks like a shortspine thornyhead (Sebastolobus alascanus). At 2700' that would be about right. They are good to eat!

Someone post up some pictures of the reels you use to hold that much line... must be huge and I sure hope they are electric, it would take two hours to check your bait.

Nice fish.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Keying it out based on the head spines, it looks like a shortspine thornyhead (Sebastolobus alascanus). At 2700' that would be about right. They are good to eat!
    After looking at some of the other characteristics, I may retract my answer. The pectoral fins do not match up with a shortspine thornyhead, and the dorsal spines are too short to be a longspine thornyhead, final answer coming soon.......

Jeeze thats awesome! Amazing how they can get so old.
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

"Idiot" IMO

Attachment 50887
    Yes, this is the reel that I use for deep sea fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Someone post up some pictures of the reels you use to hold that much line... must be huge and I sure hope they are electric, it would take two hours to check your bait.

Nice fish.

It does look alike a shortspine thornyhead. I did some search online and shortspine thornyhead was the closest I can find. http://www.afsc.noaa.gov/rockfish-ga...shortspine.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Letsfish View Post
    It does look alike a shortspine thornyhead. I did some search online and shortspine thornyhead was the closest I can find. http://www.afsc.noaa.gov/rockfish-ga...shortspine.htm
    One of the key characteristics of the shortspine is the strong notch on the pectoral fin. The fish in question lacks any indentation on the pelvic fin.

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    Came up from 2700' of water out of PWS
    I'll let someone else tell you, but I do know you were fishing VERY deep water!
    Lots of folks discussing "idiot" fish.

Anybody (other than the idiots) want to discuss fishing in 2700 feet of water?

Must be one Hell of a reel............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast