Thread: Why do they make carbon canoes ?

Default Why do they make carbon canoes ?

I've been researching canoes lately and I see they make them in carbon at the top end of price. But the carbon ones are only a couple of pounds lighter than the Kevlar models. So...I got to wondering why do they do that. Is there some other attribute other than weight for an incentive to make a carbon canoe. Are carbon canoes less subject to damage from rocks or abrasion ? Is that couple of pounds the only reason to buy a carbon canoe ?

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Think Light and Tough

Having made kayaks, duck boats ,and drift boats with fiberglass,Maybe I can shed some light here.
    Fiberglass mat comes in a variety of weights (per yard) same as paper comes in lighter or heavier weights for different purposes.The same is true for carbon fiber--but--carbon material has a stronger weight to mass ratio than glass material.Both material is bought in rolls (think of bolts of cloth for sewing).Because of it's superior strength,carbon is more expensive and tougher.Kinda like comparing a diamond to a cubic zirconian.Make any sense ? I hope so,I'd be hard pressed to remember all the chemistry involved........
    So is a carbon reinforced canoe better than a kevlar reinforced canoe-------not really, for a practical world.I f you use a boat--not abuse--it will be subject to normal wear and tear.And stuff does wear out.A carbon reinforced canoe should not wear out as fast as one beefed up with kevlar or one that is only fiberglass.But they will all wear out sooner or later.
    End of rant...............
    Last edited by Mark Collett; 07-14-2011 at 15:12. Reason: to try to answer the question

http://pslc.ws/macrog/carfsyn.htm the link describes a basic process for creating carbon fiber...carbon fiber is the lightest material that you can use to make canoes....light and strong but also expensive....vacuum bagging/molding with epoxy, requires quite a bit of labor

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Thanks pipercub
    Now I remember why I couldn't remember------it makes my head hurt

I can't say for sure, but it could be an issue of stiffness. One of the big benefits to carbon (I bike on carbon fiber bicycles) is that you can get light weight and still maintain stiffness. A good stiff boat may be beneficial for some uses as opposed to one that has a lot of flex to it.

Don't they make pills for that....?