Thread: Jack o'Conner Center

Default Jack o'Conner Center

I am in south east Washington State this week visiting family this week. Had an extra day to kill so my Dad and i decided to drive over and visit the Jack O'Conner Center in in the Hell's Gate Park in Lewiston Idaho. HOLY COW IS IT COOL!! They have lots and lots of the Jack's and his wife Elanor's trophy's from around the world when the model 70 was king and hunting trips took 2-3 months!!! Anyway, if anyone that is into big game hunting, and especially sheep, I recommend stopping in there if you ever have the chance. It only takes a short time to walk through, and IMO is well worth the time and experience.

If you are a Jack O'Connor fan, you can see what is supposedly his best heads Grand Slam of sheep at the Post Falls, Idaho Cabelas. They are mounted outside of the fine gun room.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Grew up reading his articles and columns in the 1960's. He had a big game column every month that riveted a young mind for many hours. Have since gone back and re-purchased all 10 year issues. Great reading and great old ads. A time we'd be much better off living.

DSCN0583.jpgDSCN0584.jpgHere a couple of pics that I took there the other day. The four Rams on both sides are Jack's B&C rams. The big one in the middle is the ram that his wife Elanor took. The second pic is his monster Rocky Mountian Mulie.

O'Conner sure lived the life....musta been nice to have an unlimited all expenses paid hunting gig!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mekaniks View Post
    I am in south east Washington State this week visiting family this week. Had an extra day to kill so my Dad and i decided to drive over and visit the Jack O'Conner Center in in the Hell's Gate Park in Lewiston Idaho. HOLY COW IS IT COOL!! They have lots and lots of the Jack's and his wife Elanor's trophy's from around the world when the model 70 was king and hunting trips took 2-3 months!!! Anyway, if anyone that is into big game hunting, and especially sheep, I recommend stopping in there if you ever have the chance. It only takes a short time to walk through, and IMO is well worth the time and experience.

I worhsipped that old guy. You are SOOOO lucky to go see the place. I'm envious.
    svenska50@hotmail.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER

I was just there in early June. It was pretty cool to check out. Loved the sheep & the goat mounts. Worth visiting if you are in the area.

I've driven the Alcan probably fifty times and each time I drive through the Kluane, Prophet River and Muskwa areas, I think of the old O'Connor stories I read as a yuong man.