Thread: Packin' for the Kenai

Default Packin' for the Kenai

Big question is how much bait, if any, to take along.

Is an imminent bait ban looming in the days ahead?

Through July 11, the typical quarter-point of the late-run, indices used to assess run strength indicate that the 2011 actual inriver run strength is similar to the runs seen in 2009 and 2010, years when it was questionable if the lower end of the escapement goal was achieved. Inseason restrictive actions to the sport fishery are being considered to ensure that the sustainable escapement goal of late-run king salmon will be achieved.

The next regular update is planned for Friday, July 15.

Got eggs cured in several flavors, fresh sardines, not so fresh sardines, herring, and tuna bellies. Hate to bring it all along only to go unused and wasted.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Bait

Well, I have been fishing with a friend who only will use a bare back size 15 quickfish and he has done better than any of us using bait. If you get here and they close it to bait I'm sure you could peddle it to the silver fisherman. Lets hope the run picks up.

OK got my own answer....

Here's the EO hot off the press!

Due to a high level of uncertainty whether the early-run king salmon escapement of 5,300 to 9,000 fish was achieved, it is warranted to continue to conserve Kenai River early-run king salmon that may still be transiting in areas outside of designated sanctuaries. In addition, all five indices used to assess the abundance of late-run king salmon in the Kenai River indicate a run that is well below average. All department assessment methods indicate the late run is similar to the runs of 2009 and 2010. The final 2009 escapement estimate was slightly below the sustainable escapement goal range and the 2010 escapement was likely below lower bound of the sustainable escapement goal of 17,800 to 35,700 late-run king salmon. Therefore, it is warranted to continue to manage the early run conservatively and begin to slow down the harvest of late-run king salmon while the run continues to develop.
    Anglers are advised that in the Kenai River drainage from ADF&G regulatory markers located approximately 300 yards downstream from the mouth of Slikok Creek, upstream to the outlet of Skilak Lake, and in the Moose River from its confluence with the Kenai River upstream to the northern-most edge of the Sterling Highway Bridge, the Kenai River early-run king salmon sport fishery will be restricted as follows:
    Only king salmon less than 20 inches in length or 55 inches or greater in length may be retained. King salmon 20 inches or greater in length and less than 55 inches in length may not be possessed or retained, may not be removed from the water and must be released immediately from 12:01 a.m., Friday, July 15, through 11:59 p.m., Sunday, July 31, 2011. Harvest of king salmon less than 20 inches in length or 55 inches or greater in length is still allowed.
    Use of bait is not allowed while fishing for any species of fish from 12:01 a.m., Friday, July 15, through 11:59 p.m., Sunday, July 31, 2011.
    Although bait continues to be allowed downstream of the ADF&G regulatory markers located approximately 300 yards downstream from the mouth of Slikok Creek, additional restrictions for this area are possible if the run does not improve.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Just come on up Doc,
    You know there are plenty of ways to skin a cat.Hope you have a good year up here and take lots of pictures.We all like seeing them.Especially those smiling fishing kids of yours.They always look to be having a great time.

Who needs bait when you have the Fish Chant?

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...oo)?highlight=
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Hey Doc if you have any bait left over I'll help you use it. be down the end of the month, next week.

Wink Got Hair ???

I can hardly fathom that an elite conservationist such as yourself is coming up to Alaska put the Wood Shampoo to some of the last of the LR spawning 'Nai Kings whilst they tail out their reds.......

. .
    . Then again - mebbe you are just C&R'in them, wishing them well on their way back to their reds???? And you are just washing the hair on the Reds that are emminently endeavoring to overun the ADFG escapement goals - which, of course would ruin the spawning grounds for all future fisherpeople.
    .then again - if a C&R king is let go and nobody sees the blood dripping off her gills was she ever really caught and, more importantly, does she really spawn...
    .and now Deep Thoughts!

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Bullelker,
    The doc does a lot for this forum----I can't understand you slamming the man like that........
    Having a bad day-------------------get over it..........

The irony in my post didn't shine through very well. I too struggle with killing those animals/fish that I love - a moral self dilemna that I have yet to fully comprehend - one that many hunters and fisherman know.

In the end - we can only hope that the good we have done for habitat and critters outweighs the animals that we harvest for our personal sustainment. In Docs case, I do believe that is exactly the case. I also understand that he knows more about C&R than I ever will. My apologies Doc.

I should have put a smiley face on the post.

Fantastic week with friends and family catching kings and reds. Timing was impeccable. Witnessed and 'partook' in the best wide open bite on the river since 2005.

Sockeye action seemingly non-stop in the right places.

Weather was fantastic.... both with and without my shirt.

Packed along all my bait and used/shared nearly every last scrap right down to the closing bell.

All in all I give the trip a great big thumbs up for 2011.
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Fantastic week with friends and family catching kings and reds. Timing was impeccable. Witnessed and 'partook' in the best wide open bite on the river since 2005.

Sockeye action seemingly non-stop in the right places.

Weather was fantastic.... both with and without my shirt.

Packed along all my bait and used/shared nearly every last scrap right down to the closing bell.

All in all I give the trip a great big thumbs up for 2011.
    Glad you had fun!

The reds action down there is unbelievable. It seems like every third cast I was getting a hook up. I lost a lot but landed my share as well. What an awesome place to fish!
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.