Thread: Looking for guidance re rafting lower Kasilof

Default Looking for guidance re rafting lower Kasilof

Hi Folks,

I need some guidance. I plan to raft down the Kasilof from the bridge. I'm in a 13 foot bucket raft with frame. I had planned to go to the mouth to take out.

My kids want to bring an aluminum canoe also. When I was checking the safety of using the canoe I ran across the threads saying that it can be very tough to get to the mouth if the winds or tides are against you. I also see that the usual take outs, Cohoe Cove and Kasilof Kabins, are closed.

Need some ideas of my options in case I run into issues. I don't mind paying fees.

I see the Webb Ramsell rd runs about 100 ft from the river at one point, could I just portage to the road there? With my luck I expect that is private property that I can't cross, or a 10 ft bank.

help is greatly appreciated!

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Better re-check your Info ryne

As of 2 weeks ago ,both Coho Cove and Kasilof Kabins were open. (I just got off the slope and haven't been down there since I got back). It's my understanding that they will not be open in 2012 or will be under new ownership.You can call Kasilof Kabins @ 262-6238 and Coho Cove @262-1939 to make sure.
    I hope your kids are well expirenced with that canoe.Water levels should be up and running pretty good by now.Please make sure they wear PFD's and have their skills up to the task.Don't want to read about any canoe fatality in the papers.
    One more thing--Coho Cove is off of Webb-Ramsdell Rd. in case you didn't know.Hope you have a fun time..

Thanks Mark!!

Yep on the safety, my kids don't go near a canoe (or raft) without pfd's. My son is 18 and they will stay close.

The water was described as pretty flat, is that not the case this time of year?

the river is up, and there are waves that could swamp a canoe if run run poorly, but they are also easily avoided. i would advise making sure your paddlers have been on a river before, it can be quite different paddling in a current. be safe, have fun.

Thanks Folks!

I got in touch with Cohoe Cove and $10 for unguided use of the ramp and parking the second vehicle. I had apparently misunderstood about them being closed.

I'm going to skip the canoe with all the rain last night and today up here, I assume you got at least as much down there.

Now I hope some fish can sneak into the river tonight