Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belts

Default Belts

Everyone's always talking about holsters, but I rarely see any discussion of good belts to support said holster. I'm dropping some dough on a verrrrry nice holster here and would like to get a nice belt to go along with it. So, what makes a good belt? Where do you get yours?

Depends what you are looking for and what kinda holster. Leather, nylon ('tactical'), dress or whatever. You can get good belts from a number of makers that will suit from everything from formal dress wear to cowboy action to military. Stiff is the bottom line, most good ones come with a plastic line to maintain shape. I Have a couple of 5.11 Tactical belts that are nice leather ones, great for CC with jeans or pants. But my go-to belt is a Wilderness Instuctor Belt;
    http://www.thewilderness.com/storepi...309&parent=142

I have a khaki and a black that I use for everything. Had them nearly 3 years of daily use and they look as good as new.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerofdreams View Post
    Everyone's always talking about holsters, but I rarely see any discussion of good belts to support said holster. I'm dropping some dough on a verrrrry nice holster here and would like to get a nice belt to go along with it. So, what makes a good belt? Where do you get yours?
    Outdoors or indoors? Casual or suit & tie? 500 S&W or J-frame? I've used Galco for 10+ years and I am very satisfied. I've two of these (LINK) and like them very much for jeans, casual wear or hunting. A 4 inch Redhawk is the heaviest revolver I wear with it, but it holds everything in the correct location (pants-gut-gun) and I also have one of these (LINK) when slacks/suit is required though a P220 is standard fare with that belt. I've gotten great service from them and will replace them with another Galco when they give up the ghost.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

If you are dropping some dough on a verrrrry nice holster, get the verrrrry nice belt that the holster maker offers. It will be matched to the precise width of the belt loops on the holster.

Otherwise all the comments above are good, except that the 5.11 leather belt I bought is a piece of Chinese 'stuff' (for the family audience). It seemed like it wouldn't take much use to break the leather down, and the color and feel was definitely not good, much less verrrrry nice. It was adequate for what I paid (less than suggested retail) but I gave it to a friend that needed a belt better than the junk he bought at Wal-Mart.

Otherwise, I like the design of the Ken Null buckle and belt. Lots of other good makers: Milt Sparks, Ted Blocker, Kramer, The Beltman, Comp-Tac. Blade-Tech even has some now. Locally Diamond D is pretty nice looking, but I haven't used one and I wish the leather he used was a bit stiffer/rigid (in both belts and holsters).

Forgot to mention that my most worn belts are Wilderness Instructor CSM belts. They work very well with the Alaskan 'Carhartt aesthetic', and are not limited to 5 punched holes for sizing adjustments.

I prefer leather and make my own belts. Tandy on Lake Otis has a whole bunch of them pre-cut and a wide variety of buckles. Black Elk on Old Seward has a selection, too. You can buy the leather blank, the buckle and the hole punch and snap set you need for less than the cost of one decent nylon belt. Then use the tools to make as many more as you need or want for next to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by scottr View Post
    If you are dropping some dough on a verrrrry nice holster, get the verrrrry nice belt that the holster maker offers. It will be matched to the precise width of the belt loops on the holster.
    It'd be nice, but it's a relatively new company and they haven't expanded into belts or anything yet.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll be checking out these options as soon as I get a chance.

I have a Galco "Cop" belt and a Galco "Instructor" belt. Both work well.

I've been eyeing this guy's belts, www.thebeltman.net/ for a while. His standard belt is bullhide.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

I have been using a galco leather belt for about six years now. Very nice and sturdy, definitely makes a huge difference over a single layer belt. I will get another when the time comes, but it won't be any time soon.

I have belts from both Tucker Gunleather and Mernickle. If I was to buy another belt, it would be from one of those makers. I have seen the belts from Diamond D, good stuff. It is way cheaper to make your own, and pretty easy.
    ..."Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions." - G.K. Chesterton

I got a leather Bianchi holster for my gp100, but for some reason got a
    Galco belt. I will get another if it ever wears out whether or not I have a holster on it.

Default Filson and Montana Sling

Filson makes a selection of wonderful leather belts at their Seattle location. Patrick Sinclair, of Montana Sling in in Glasgow MT, also makes a great belt. I use both with my Rob Leahy Simply Rugged holsters. These belts are a real chunk of beef hide and assembled in the NW, to boot.

I have three go to belts. As mentioned, the Wilderness instructor belts are always nice to have for light weight, dry quicker than leather, durable, stiff enough to support the weight of a holster. Another very good belt for a decent price I have is made by Cross Breed Holsters. Plain black, hand made in Missouri, thick, stiff, heavy duty. Been wearing one daily for over 1 year and it is good as new and cost 50 bucks plus shipping. I also love their Super Tuck Crossbreed Holster, check them out online. Another good quality holster is made by Desantis. It is not as heavy duty as the Crossbreed, has the traditional stitching that gives it away as a gun belt is one drawback. Many more out there I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I prefer leather and make my own belts. Tandy on Lake Otis has a whole bunch of them pre-cut and a wide variety of buckles. Black Elk on Old Seward has a selection, too. You can buy the leather blank, the buckle and the hole punch and snap set you need for less than the cost of one decent nylon belt. Then use the tools to make as many more as you need or want for next to nothing.
    x2!
    And make them any color you want.

I love my Cross Breed belt, excellent price and I'm on my second year on mine. No sign of any wear yet.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I love my Cross Breed belt, excellent price and I'm on my second year on mine. No sign of any wear yet.
    Good to hear. I'm thinking it is the best $50 I ever spent for a belt, good for every day wear.

I've been using a 3-stitch, polymer-stiffend Wilderness Instructors belt w/an IWB holster and a G-22 for a few years now with no complaints or issues. I also have a Wilderness frequent flier for those rare ocassions that I have to wear business casual or otherwise dress and act somewhat refined, but I don't really care for it as it doesn't provide as much support and I don't trust the plastic ring buckle system on it.

The 1.25" Instructors belt would be better such times providing the same support and still slipping through the belt loops of a pair of Dockers.
    Now what ?

I've been using a 3-stitch, polymer-stiffend Wilderness Instructors belt w/an IWB holster and a G-22 for a few years now with no complaints or issues. I also have a Wilderness frequent flier for those rare ocassions that I have to wear business casual or otherwise dress and act somewhat refined, but I don't really care for it as it doesn't provide as much support and I don't trust the plastic ring buckle system on it.

The 1.25" Instructors belt would be better such times providing the same support and still slipping through the belt loops of a pair of Dockers.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan J View Post
    x2!
    And make them any color you want.
    Yup. Right now they're on sale for $6.99 each in widths up to 2" and no extra tools necessary. Nice, stout leather perfect for gun belts. Add a buckle and you're still under $20.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast