Thread: unit 13?

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default unit 13?

I think I know how to read, but then I open the regs. Is there an archery season in unit 13 like the august 10th-17th elsewhere? Sure doesn't look like it to me, but I could always be wrong.
    Thanks,
    Scott

Which critter are you thinking? Do you have a draw, community harvest, tier permit or asking about General seasons only?

Not sure about exclusive to archery ... as some Black Bear, Brown bear, and sheep hunts appear to be open during at that time.

Harvest ticket for moose.

Sorry about being vague, I'm just finishing up the archery certification.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    Harvest ticket for moose.

Sorry about being vague, I'm just finishing up the archery certification.
    Nope, although you are always free to use a bow in a rifle season, lots of people do.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Nope, although you are always free to use a bow in a rifle season, lots of people do.
    How successful are they? I'd figure it'd be slim pickings during general season. Everywhere I've tried is so over run with people of wheeling/hunting that I've only even seen one bull during season and he was sublegal

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    How successful are they? I'd figure it'd be slim pickings during general season. Everywhere I've tried is so over run with people of wheeling/hunting that I've only even seen one bull during season and he was sublegal
    It all depends on how much effort you put into it. Where we hunt, atv's can't get to, but it takes us a lot of work. I have had multiple occasions where I was within 20 feet or so from multiple bulls (caribou). We you ally mugh see one other group in a week long hunt. If you stick with ATV access, yes, you will have a tough time getting good space where you are not directly competing with a large group of rifle hunters.

Thanks for clarifying. I used to hunt archery in another state, now I'm trying to get out before the droves of rifle hunters.

I looked a little closer at the regs and it looks like 14 has the earliest archery, part of 16 and part of 20 have early archery seasons too - but the dates are all a little different.

I guess I always figured you could carry a bow during rifle season, but I really like the option of getting out before the crowds.

It will be interesting to see how things go in unit 13 with all the caribou tag hype.

I never see the August 10 to 17 hunt as any advantage over hunting the regular season. I would far rather hunt the last week of the general season than hunt the early archery season. At least the bulls are on the move during the regular season and respond to calls. That early season is pretty much a hit or miss deal at mostly young spike bulls....unless of course you hunt in Roger's back yard.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem