Thread: Has anybody ever........

Default Has anybody ever........

Anyone ever own, shoot, see a PTR rifle?H&K 91 in 308 and PTR 32 in 7.62x39 that takes AK mags. US made, quality rifle.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Sold several back when Down Under was open, they appeared to be quality built rifles, and a direct clone of the 91. Never have seen one in 7.62x39. Recent comments have alluded to problems with the late mfg 308's in the fluting, or lack thereof, in the chamber. However, some folks only want to run the cheapest ammo they can get their hands on. But that's not to say some rifles don't have a problem. Ivar at PTR was always a pleasure to deal with.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Anyone ever own, shoot, see a PTR rifle?H&K 91 in 308 and PTR 32 in 7.62x39 that takes AK mags. US made, quality rifle.
    There a couple for sale here locally, both Green PTR91s. Both iro $1000. I have never fired a 91, but put many 1000s rounds through G3s (as you know the military select-fire HK91) and was always impressed. I grew up with FN FALs and the G3 is a similar beast, awesome firepower, reliable, but a hefty and long beast. Typical heavy MBR accuracy; around 2MOA if you do your part. I have no experience of the Commie version, can't see the point of same heft in a 7.62x39 and obviously a lot a buggering with the 91 to get it to take that round, so how well will it work???
    If it were me I would go for a good make of FAL over the PTR (personal choice) or if it is just for a fun gun gun then hunt out a good CETME, save $500 and put it into modding the CETME. But I stress a GOOD CETME, as there are a lot of lemons. I have also seen many people trying to pass off CETMEs as PTRs, so buyer beware.
    Take a good look at DSA (some really nice FAL variants) and Vector Arms (no longer manufacturing, but some awesome HK variants).
    Top pick, a Vector arms V51 or V91 (HK 308 Pistols), $200 stamp (AOW as it will be a pistol with a stock added) and an HK collapsible stock added. SWEEEEET.

Best prices for PTRs or V91s is CDNN Investments.

A PTR 32 is an H&K 91/93 clone with an AK magazine well and latch....uses gen II polymer mags, ( the Bulgarian poly or the $10 Tapco work great) and in 7.62x39 caliber. It is heavy, like a good H&K, and the caliber doesn't need the weight but it is a unique mix and a good training rifle to prep a young guy for H&K management. They are a very quality American built rifle. They have a 1913 rail welded to the top and the fully adjustable, four aperture rotary rear sight with a square crisp front post. The modular trigger group can utilize class III triggers. It seems this Precision Tactical Rifles company has done some home work. They, of course, make a 91 model in the 308 and that would be a great 91 but I found this at about a$grand, NIB. Made a trade. The grand sons like it and now can field strip an H&K rifle. Heavy to hold but manageable. We had to borrow a red dot from one of the AR's and that was a fun addition. I had a case of Lapua ammo saved up for the Valmet.....it's getting low now.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Oh...I do have a good DSA FAL. I think it would be my pick for serious work and skitter patrol.