Thread: Surfcasting for halibut in Homer

Default Surfcasting for halibut in Homer

Hey guys! I just thought I'd share this... A couple of my clients rented surfcasting rods from me and went down to Homer yesterday. I expected them to catch the typical sole, flounder, cod etc... I got an excited text in the middle of the afternoon = "First fish=halibut!". I didn't have the heart to tell them it was probably a flounder... But then I saw the picture! 15 lb halibut. Surfcasting in Homer just got a lot more exciting!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Download the free Alaska fishing app FISH FINDER for Iphone!
    www.alaskatacklerental.com

Yep people have been catching halibut there for years. I have done it myself with a salmon rod and a surfcast rod.
    Nowhere near consistent Halibut fishing but fun nonetheless.
    I believe kgpcr caught a 20#er there last year trying to catch cod/pollack for bait.
    My biggest is about the same size as the one in your picture. I figured it about 10# but thats just a guess. Got 2 in 1 day a few years ago and as I was going to throw them back some oriental gentleman there asked if he could have the fish so into his cooler they went.
    looking at the picture it looks like it was a lot of fun for the fisherman/woman who caught it.
    I don't fish there anymore since buying a Halibut boat myself. Well other than the occasional stop for crab bait as we are leaving the harbor. But it can be done.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Looks like some happy folks.There is another spot on the spit that I have caught halibut up to 25 lbs.Turn left toward the boat launch and stay on the east side of the spit,keep going until you see an old,dilapidated boat launch (or what used to be one).Park right above it,take your lawn chair down,set up,an let er buck.Throw your bait out toward the old piling in front of you and enjoy the view.A nice thing is you're below wind level from a westerly wind and you might even hook a silver heading into Nick Dudiak Lagoon.It has worked for me.........

The sad thing was, I've been trying to catch a halibut out of there for 3 years. I always showed up in April or May, hoping the halibut were in close for spring. I'll have to try that boat launch. Thanks for the tip! The problem with the pileons in the pic, is that as soon as you outfish people, they crowd you, or beg for your fish. There's been a lot of times where I just left because I was tired of people crossing my line, even though there is a ton of open space there. At least I know the 15 lb is accurate; these folks got it processed
    Download the free Alaska fishing app FISH FINDER for Iphone!
    www.alaskatacklerental.com

Somewhat related... we clammed at Clam Gulch over the 4th and fished two incoming tides. Landed a 12lber on one of them. Clamming the lows, fishing the incoming, and playing on the outgoing is a blast!

I know a guy in Kasilof who does the personal use setnetting in kasilof every year. He told me they often tie a Gaignon on the pole on the end of their net at low tide and they usually get a chicken of 15-20# for dinner when the tide gets low enough to retrieve it.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"