Thread: Wooldridge XL Sportjet my opinion

Default Wooldridge XL Sportjet my opinion

Hey everyone,

First off I would like to thank forum members for sharing their knowledge and experiences in boating and boating products.

Last winter I ordered a Wooldridge XL Sportjet. I had gone back and forth for months deciding between an inboard vs. outboard and a Xtraplus vs. an XL. A thanks has to the Prop shop for putting up with my constant questions and mind changing. In the end I opted for the XL with the 200hp SJ.
    For me the SJ seemed to be the right choice for several reasons.

The steering
    I believe is 270 degrees allows for easier maneuvering in tight areas.

Fuel economy was the second.
    Ya a prop on an outboard is better but not by much. After several weeks of running friends of mine with props that switch out to jets further up river burn around 6-10 gallons less fuel per trip. Once a prop is switched out for a jet the fuel economy simply canít match the XL with the SP.

This boat just runs shallower.
    I have had several friends following me up river that I later learned had hit bottom where the XL just glided over without ever touching.

Ability to Stop.
    I opted to pick up the new bucket offered by Wooldridge. The ability to maneuver in reverse is excellent. Iím sure all of you have seen the videos so all can do is agree its that good!

Ability to get on step.
    Can I say this boat is practically on step just sitting in the water. Even with 5 adults, three days of camp gear, fuel etc. It gets up with ease.

Finally thanks to Wooldridge. Grant and Glen are top notch. Another XL here was over heating. So they sent the owner new parts to fix the problem but they also sent them for my boat even though I had not been experiencing the same issues.
    I tore out the padding Wooldridge had placed under the doghouse and replaced it with Extreme Dynamat then a layer of Dynaliner. This was also done in the transom. Dynamat was also placed inside the box seats in front, under the console, and under the bow. Decibel readings were taken before this was done but I have not gotten the readings for the after readings yet so Iíll wait to share that data until it done. But itís a night and day difference. We can sit and chat while running now!

One negative the motor had been leaking some oil which was finally traced back to a wheel that operates the belt on top. Its currently being repaired.

Thanks again!
    Enjoy some of the last weekendís videos.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/montanadds?feature=mhee

tibor, nice video and pictures. Its been many years since I was in Bethal. were did you take the videos? it does't look like anything I saw when I was there, Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Wooldridge View Post
    tibor, nice video and pictures. Its been many years since I was in Bethal. were did you take the videos? it does't look like anything I saw when I was there, Glen
    Its about a 3 hour run to where we were. So its really no where near Bethel. Its still nice and flat! We were just way up one of the tributaries. If your ever in Bethel I'd be happy to take you......blindfolded of coarse

Wow, I forgot to mention a special thanks to Toshiro for sharing all his experiences with his XL!

Need to add a few more cons here.
    The passenger window started leaking water this weekend after only 2 months. It looks like it just not sealed in the bottom right corner. Anyone know if this is a common thing? Should I contact Wooldrige or is it an easy fix....cheap?
    The horn quit working not that I really use it but again for a 2 month old boat?
    Many of the rubber stoppers in the box seats have torn out.
    The hard plastic that covers the edges of where the doghouse and the transom meet keep coming off.
    Any other new Wooldridge owners experiencing any of this?

I also have a Wooldridge XL (outboard), but my horn doesnt seem to work either....