Thread: Spotting Scopes

Default Spotting Scopes

Looking for input on spotting scopes. Sticking with Leupold because I get about 40% discount. Don't want to start a holy war but which do you recommend, straight or angled eyepiece?

Quote Originally Posted by Netman View Post
    Looking for input on spotting scopes. Sticking with Leupold because I get about 40% discount. Don't want to start a holy war but which do you recommend, straight or angled eyepiece?
    I recommend Angled

+1 for angled

I have both straight and angled. I prefer the straight for a number of reasons. Its easier to line up and I can use it and keep my silhouette low. But that's just me.

I thought leupold finally decided to give up on spotting scopes.

Default straight

Here's another vote for straight. As mentioned earlier it is a lot easier to line up plus your head and body aren't as skylined. I have a leica 63 mm that works exceptionally well. It is a fraction of the size and weight of my old 77 televid and just as clear.

+1 for the straight

Someone has to explain to me how a straight scope makes less profile. I sure feel a lot more concealed sitting and hunching over looking down into my scope then having my head above my shoulders looking through a straight lens. InAddition I find it harder looking uphill with a straight, plus being 6'4 I had trouble finding a tripod that worked for me when I had my straight scope. I can tell ya that camera land has/had a great deal on a vortex skyline straight spotter.e

I have been using a Leupold 14-30x40 Gold Ring compact on a Joby SLR Zoom tripod. Awesome combo for sheep hunting.
    I have used the Nikon 5-ED angled, and at first I liked it, but for a variety of reasons, I found the angled to be more fatiguing to use than the straight. Really. Not to mention you are up a bit taller in silouhette. The straight just feels better, for me anyways.
    Really like the Gold Ring compact.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I have a leupold gold ring HD and love the thing it is really clear and is not that heavy or bulky compared to others I have used I have about 4 years on it and use it hard for everything. I have given a lot of recomendations for that spotter and have nop complaints about it yet

Don, think about it. If you are hunched over the angled scope, everything from your shoulders up are above the scope body. In a straight schoe, only the top of your head above the eyes is above the scope body. You have a point being 6'4" but I do most of my glassing from a sitting position so its not a problem, but then again I'm 5'8". On a stalk, when I use it from a prone position and that's where the straight is, imo, better. But each has their own preference and experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Don, think about it. If you are hunched over the angled scope, everything from your shoulders up are above the scope body. In a straight schoe, only the top of your head above the eyes is above the scope body. You have a point being 6'4" but I do most of my glassing from a sitting position so its not a problem, but then again I'm 5'8". On a stalk, when I use it from a prone position and that's where the straight is, imo, better. But each has their own preference and experience.
    I see your point. However, my tripod adjusts (so the so that it can be angled (rotated about the scopes axis so you could theoretically view from the side) if one thought the silhouette of a head is too much.... and one could comfortably rest there head on a pillow (or similar) for extended periods of time.

Most my hunting and spotter use has been in the mountains for elk. Usually I'll sit on the side of a mountain and look across a drainage and scout the other side, first with binos then the spotter to zero in on an animal. Sitting on the side of a mountain with a tripod between my legs and my backpack on the hillside above me is very comfortable hunched over into an angled scope. Laying down isn't really an option, and I know there are many different tripods out there but they don't usually come up the way I like if I have a straight scope. On flat terrain I am sure laying down is an option, or maybe if you are on a rise looking over a valley, but my hunts so far haven't had me in that situation. Maybe I'll change my mind, but for now I like angled, but lots of good info here for th op to make a choice.

Guys, the problem is that each style has it's own purpose.
    On the top of the mountain I'd want straight, at the bottom, I'll take the angled.

My Leica televid 'straight' sits on the tripod near the dining room table 24/7 for use out our picture window... ready for eyeballing the many critters here, therefore I use a straight scope.

Both have their uses, the ? is, which will you use most?
    If you mostly glass deer on Kodiak, moose on the flats, caribou, etc, I'd go straight.
    If you are hardcore goat and sheep hunting exclusively, go angled.

My two measly pennies worth.
    Proud to be an American!

It has become supremely apparent that a quality tripod and perhaps even more importantly the head is far more significant than either head angle or even ED vs HD glass.