Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Haul Road Report Thread

Smile 2011 Haul Road Report Thread

After looking at the huge Haul Road report thread, thought a new one might be in order for this summer/fall/winter season. I hunted in May north of Atigun and couldn't get close to any Caribou while I was on snowshoes. Hope to rectify that in August when the wife and I head up around the 12th. I haven't been up that time of year and worry a bit about the bugs. The wife can't stand it when the "clouds" of them surround her and the dogs. Is it getting cold again by mid-August? Looking forward to seeing some of you up there.

Mike

No. Plan on bugs up there that early. And they are bad too. I usually don't mind the bugs, but they are horrible up there. Not sure exactly when they die off but I would imagine not until after the first frost in September at least.

I have had different experiences. Have been up there around the August 10, and bugs weren't bad at all. It was pretty chilly at night.
    Have been there mid-late July, and it was miserable. Hot, BUGGY BUGGY BUGGY, no caribou. But ya never know on the caribou..
    I wouldn't expect the bugs to be bad on Aug 12

Any caribou reports? Are most still north of the deadhorse boundary or have they moved into the legal area?

I shot one on the 7th or 8th when I drove back to Fairbanks. Lots of caribou south of the closed area, but pretty close to the border. Not sure how the next few days were, but it's never to promising around the middle of July unless a cold snap pushes through.

Would a 17' canoe work ok to cross the Sag?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Sterlingmike View Post
    Would a 17' canoe work ok to cross the Sag?

Mike
    Yes it will work. Just FYI, I have crossed the Sag river several times in just my waders, but it is not ideal. You have to find a wide braided channel and the water is moving very fast, so any boat whatsoever will give you an advantage. Good luck.

any updates on caribou location? looking to go this weekend
    NRA life Member JVJ

Talked to a friend yesterday who just came back from the slope last week. He told me a BIG herd was way north by Deadhorse. He didn't drive the road, though, so don't know what was south of there. I'll be up around the 11th. Hope they are more south by then. Let us know after your trip.

Hey guys, the last time i did the haul road bow hunt was in 07 and was very satisfied. This year will not happen due to a buddy's wife cancer problem, that seems to be turning out ok. So here is my thought. Last trip we used a slide pop up truck camper that worked very well. It was a bit hard to heat at times and crowded for two guys, equipment and bou. Next year we are planning on three guys and with the gear and stuff it makes a slide in camper idea a bit of a problem. So I am in the process of looking for a 5h wheel camper that can be used for more than just hunting. Plan is to park it at Galbreith or Happy Valley and hunt from a single camp location. The camper will provide extra room for a raft to cross the Sag, small freezer for (hopefully) boned out bou and other creature comforts, plus free up the pickup for travel. I have seen guys up there with big motor homes and large slide in campers and it seemed to work. So what do you think of this idea, and what about pulling a 26 or 28 ft. camper up to the slope on the haul road. Any special requirements you might think of beyond the obvious? I am from SD so most of our road driving is good pavement, except for some small areas in Canada and the eventual haul road, that really is not too bad. Am I thinking correctly or not? A

Quote Originally Posted by south dakota View Post
    Hey guys, the last time i did the haul road bow hunt was in 07 and was very satisfied. This year will not happen due to a buddy's wife cancer problem, that seems to be turning out ok. So here is my thought. Last trip we used a slide pop up truck camper that worked very well. It was a bit hard to heat at times and crowded for two guys, equipment and bou. Next year we are planning on three guys and with the gear and stuff it makes a slide in camper idea a bit of a problem. So I am in the process of looking for a 5h wheel camper that can be used for more than just hunting. Plan is to park it at Galbreith or Happy Valley and hunt from a single camp location. The camper will provide extra room for a raft to cross the Sag, small freezer for (hopefully) boned out bou and other creature comforts, plus free up the pickup for travel. I have seen guys up there with big motor homes and large slide in campers and it seemed to work. So what do you think of this idea, and what about pulling a 26 or 28 ft. camper up to the slope on the haul road. Any special requirements you might think of beyond the obvious? I am from SD so most of our road driving is good pavement, except for some small areas in Canada and the eventual haul road, that really is not too bad. Am I thinking correctly or not? A
    I have a 28' camper and I wouldn't pull it up there but that's just me. The wind would push that thing all around and some parts of that road are pretty narrow. It's possible but I just personally wouldn't do it. You are pretty limited on where you can park that thing and depending on where the herd is you might have to drive a long distance from where you drop it. I would go with a slide in on the truck and pull a small utility trailer behind you if you need the extra space for gear and fuel.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Coming home on leave and headed to the North Slope around the 16th of AUG.I will be taking my wife. This will be her first Iím crossing the Sag, Itís going to be an adventure. Thanks for any updates on the bou movements.

mountain-man,

Leaving here the 9th with my wife. If we get back prior to your trip, I'll let you know. We're taking a 9' pontoon boat in case I need to cross the Sag. Hopefully, won't need it. I'll post whatever we see when I get back.

Mike

Sterlingmike,
    I have crossed the SAG several times. If you do it during the day you can maneuver through the shallow areas and never get wet above the waist. Itís a bear at night! In my opinion thatís the best method. Itís very nice across the river. Not to many hunter across the river and there are quite a few dry flat spots for a camp. Take care getting that boat across its very swift.

two of my buddies just got back yesterday and came home empty handed after a week of runnin up and down the road.... They saw very few caribou and said the bugs were the worst they'd been in years.... Planning a September trip back up there!! All the news I got at this point...

What has the Sag been like? Possible to get across in a canoe paddling or would it be better to have a canoe/motor? Honestly, I've only ever been up there when the river is frozen so I have no idea what to expect in September.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

I heard today third hand that they were moving in numbers across the highway. Anyone ready to confirm? Are we keeping things quiet?

Oh well, those that can go will find out what is.

Good luck to all. KO

I will be heading up on the 25th. I am hoping they are going to be moving by then. I am not looking to shoot monsters, but if one happens to find its self in front of my arrow.... any way, I will continue to look on here to see if there is any updates. If anyone has any updates, please PM me if you dont want everyone to know what is going on. Its nice to no if there moving and how far they are so we can make game plans. Thanks to everyone who has given updates.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

i came back wednesday from deadhorse to fairbanks. saw 3 bou had been taken, all north of atigun. saw scattered bou, largest congregation was about 10, saw maybe 50 total, some near the sag, some just outsida deadhorse. did see maybe 40 sheep at the top of the pass, small ones though. plenty of birds out there, one musk ox too. there were however atleast 50 hunters as well. this trip was the 3rd time i had been up and back since thrusday last week, about 8 days from 2day. what i saw wednesday, 2days ago was the most bou i had seen in the past 8 days.

the biggest mistake hunters seemed to be making was not getting out in front of them far enough. i tell you the best thing i know to tell you. when you see some bou, go down a mile maybe more, get not just out in front of them but way out. i saw hunters that didn't know what they were doing. chasing bou don't work, sorry i just had to tell. i wish luck to all those that will travel that far to get one. trust me, they ain't that stupid right now. get way out in front of those you see if you are going right now, and be very careful of the big trucks and gravel and blind corners on that road. slow down when meeting others on the road or windshields get busted. good luck and be a safe driver

THANKS HOOTERNANNY!

Much appreciated for the realtime update and advice!

Sorry, could have / should have posted this two days ago:

Got back this weekend from a week-long trip with my brother and a good friend. We did quite well: 5 caribou total. We took four with rifles and one with the bow (I was the only archer). I'll post some photos and a little story elsewhere later when I have some time...

For now: we saw lots of caribou up there every day in the area between Galbraith and a few miles north of Pump 3. That's as far north as we made it; there could well have been caribou north of that. There were enough animals around that it seems most people were getting some action. Right off the road hunting was a CF as usual, and (as usual) we didn't see a single soul once we got out 5 miles. It seemed most people that had success with the bow were getting off the road as well. I loosed my arrow at the 3 mile mark, so there you go.

The bugs were pretty bad at times, although it's the black flies, not mosquitoes, so it doesn't take much of a breeze to scare them off. Conditions were pretty ideal for meat preservation, only into the 50s during the day, down to freezing at night.

GOOD LUCK!!

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast