Thread: We need more Driftboat days on the Kenai!

Default We need more Driftboat days on the Kenai!

There is nothing better than pulling your way down a river knowing at any time you could catch a fish of a lifetime! why not have more days for non motorized sport fishing? The only thing I can think of the guides who that might me too much work for! I'll admit it is a lot easier and efficient to back troll through the sweet spots in the holes. Knowing on the oars you might only get one shot at an area sure makes you be on top of your game. It would be good for the fish, the river, and might get some guys in shape! kenai7-11-11.jpg

I thought there were already 7 days on the Kenai river where drift boats are allowed? lol. I know how you feel though. Having grown up in Kenai, I love that river, but fish it less and less every year. Now that I am figuring out how to catch kings in the salt, I think the only real lower Kenai action I may do this year is dipnetting reds. This is a change from spending virtually every non-working day on the Lower Kenai River during the month of July.

I can't wait to try my kayak on one of the non motorized days but I think "fair" is typically situations or options where they are equal. I know it sounds ridiculous but would or could you support a day on the upper Kenai where jets can roam free without the "bother" of the rafters and catacrafts getting in the power boat's way?

I feel flames coming on! I have a POWER BOAT as well as a Kayak! lol.

Coming from where I came from you ought to consider yourself lucky to have one drift only day!

I'm sure you'll get lots of spirited responses on this one, i'm getting my folding chair!

I've thought about putting buoys on the driftboat and playing bumber boats down the river on a Tuesday morning! LOL I would probably need something like the pope mobile to make it home from that day.

It's amazing how the fishing success increases as the motor use decreases. When the guides are done fishing for the day and the hundreds of boats zipping up and and down the river cease, the fishing instantaniously gets better. Everyone's success rate would increase if there were less motorized boats racing up and down the river shell shocking the kings.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Every day is a drift boat only day on the upper.

that is why the upper is great, but you cant put a slab of fresh king on the grill up their either. Why not have them guide with oars, it makes for a better experience any how, now its like sitting on freeway during rush hour traffic, I do like the new motor down stream regs, this would work!