Thread: best place in anchorage to get life jackets/ anchor and marine supplies?

Default best place in anchorage to get life jackets/ anchor and marine supplies?

I know REI deals life jackets etc but what is the most reputable shop in the area that deals boat supplies? I will also be taking my motor there for service in the off season as well if one of the good shops that sells material also services.

Thanks again!
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I don't know what kind of power plant you operate so it's hard to suggest a business. As far as life jackets and boating odds and ends, Dimond blvd seems like the honey hole to me. There is West Marine, Sportsmans Warehouse, and a Walmart all very close to each other. You can compare prices and offerings of the three and burn all of a couple cups of gas doing so.

Another thought...although it is great to support local business and I feel like a heel when I don't, I'm independently poor and need to shop price. You might check Amazon.com for items you are familiar with. They often have free shipping to AK. I bought several Scotty Striker rod holders and saved about $12 per unit over the best local price. Same with epoxy. You can get a 3 gallon kit from Raka delivered for about the same cost of a gallon West System locally.

mostly just need general supplies for my 16ft aluminum boat. An anchor is my first priority. Its the only thing I dont have. The motor is a evinrude 2 stroke so when that needs service a reputable shop would help.

I think B&C supply at the corner of C and Northern lites would have all the supplies you need... but don't think they work on OB's.. Ak mining and diving works on E-rudes....

Remember a Life Jacket is like a Seat Belt for your truck, so cutting a few dollars out of buying the best is never a good idea, when you need them they should be the best ones Type 1 or 3

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    mostly just need general supplies for my 16ft aluminum boat. An anchor is my first priority. Its the only thing I dont have. The motor is a evinrude 2 stroke so when that needs service a reputable shop would help.
    I have had good luck with J Kimberly Services on Arctic. All outboard repair shops are stacked this time of year, and then get stacked again in late fall with people winterizing them.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

The best place isn't in Anchorage, it's the Gear Shed in Homer. It's kinda like West Marine, B&J commercial and a boat store all wrapped into one, and with pretty decent prices. We always stop by when boating in K-bay, sometimes before we leave and on the return. Too bad there isn't something similar in town, but as we aren't a commercial fishing port, there is no demand for a chandelry.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

2nd that good advice on taking it to J. Kimberly Services.
    BK

There isn't a whole lot of maintenance to do to your old Effinrude. Water pump, plugs, check the wires, new lower end unit oil. You'll save a bundle and learn a little DIY. You can find the how-to's online with google and Utoob. Use a little bit of RTV sealant when you meet the two cases back together and put a good marine grade grease on the shafts mating surfaces. Don't forget the clutch adjustment. Takes about 45 minutes -tools in and tools out- once you do it once.

don't forget the rope with the anchor - she'll sink and you'll never gitter back if'n she ain't tied off! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    There isn't a whole lot of maintenance to do to your old Effinrude. Water pump, plugs, check the wires, new lower end unit oil. You'll save a bundle and learn a little DIY. You can find the how-to's online with google and Utoob. Use a little bit of RTV sealant when you meet the two cases back together and put a good marine grade grease on the shafts mating surfaces. Don't forget the clutch adjustment. Takes about 45 minutes -tools in and tools out- once you do it once.

don't forget the rope with the anchor - she'll sink and you'll never gitter back if'n she ain't tied off! LOL.
    Good advice. I do plan on learning to DIY but my space to work on it does not exist this year. I am usually a pretty *****in mechanic. I work on airplanes for a living and built one BA racecar so a little boat motor shouldnt be hard to figure out but my apt frowns on my jackin their parking lot up with boat parts.

I do plan on getting good life jackets. I know the importance. Im not gonna trust my life to the walmart special.

I will put a rope on my anchor too. Something about throwing it overboard without just doesnt seem right.

Put a line on your anchor I know it really doesn't matter, but on boats cordage is generally referred to as a line, and when you tie it to your anchor, it's called a rode. I'd recommend putting about 10' of 1/4" galvanized chain between your anchor and line, and also it would be best to splice a loop on the end of your line around a thimbal when you attach it to the chain. Less likely to get hung up when you pull it, and stronger than a knot.

At least 300' of 3/8" anchor line should be about right for your boat. It may seem like alot of line, but the ideal scope, i.e. amount of line let out for each foot you drop the anchor is 6:1 if in conditions you must stay anchored in, and I generally like at least 3:1 for lest serious condtions.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I agree with the gear shed in homer, good people there and good experiance there!

The gear shed in Homer is my favorite store in ALaska
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Default online Life vest/jackets

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    I know REI deals life jackets etc but what is the most reputable shop in the area that deals boat supplies? I will also be taking my motor there for service in the off season as well if one of the good shops that sells material also services.

Thanks again!
    http://tinyurl.com/5tlq987

good choices on line

+1 for B&J supply for lots of marine goodies (shrimping stuff, line, buoys, etc.) So far nobody has mentioned Eagle Enterprises, which recently moved from their old spot on International to their new home on Old Seward, next door to Alaska Rubber. Eagle has all kinds of marine (and aviation) safety & survival gear, including float coats, flares, AK charts, etc. plus they're locally owned.