Thread: Dipnetting the Kenai

Default Dipnetting the Kenai

Has anyone ever attempted dipnetting the Kenai with a cataraft? I have an AIRE Jag with a 6 HP 4 Stroke. Seems Like it would be a nice stable platform to net from, just don't know if the current is too strong (depending on tide)?? Any help appreciated..
    Thanks

I imagine you'd have to comply w/ the boat-dipnetting rules and areas... having been there and done that, there's NO WAY I would risk life and limb on a CAT (or anything similar) for a coulple of netted fish. The water can get way to rough, and there can be way too many (large / overpower'd /underpilot'd) other boats there to contend with. (you'll be counting on them to stay away from you, as you won't have the manuverablity to avoid them)

If you are determined... find a friend w/ a "real" (no offense) boat, and go test the waters, and witness the melee firsthand... then decide for yourself.

Goodluck

I did it last year in a leopard with a 20 HP. I never once felt like I was in danger. It worked great other than you will get a little wind drift if it is windy. I plan to take the family this year. I would trust my leopard a lot more than some of the boats that I saw last year.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak kid View Post
    I did it last year in a leopard with a 20 HP. I never once felt like I was in danger. It worked great other than you will get a little wind drift if it is windy. I plan to take the family this year. I would trust my leopard a lot more than some of the boats that I saw last year.
    Thanks- I was kinda looking for perspective from someone with a Cat. My only concern now is having a 6 HP outboard. Seems like the current (even during extreme tides) would not be a huge factor. I can get about 6-7 knots out of it with 3/4 throttle. (Probably not with a bunch of fish in the cooler though.) Might have to stay closer to shore.

I have a buddy that did it last year in that exact boat (jag) but I'm not sure what size his motor is.

I was there at the same time in an aluminum hull boat. He seemed to be doing fine, if I remember right he had 2 other people on board. It was a crazy day too.

A 6 hp seems a bit light to me but for all I know that is what he had.

Default Might need a bigger motor.

I have been dipping the lower Kenai from my 18' Leopard w/ 25 HP Yamaha 4-stroke for years with much success and safety. I take my kids out too. Dipped 3-1/2 hours from the cat last Friday and took 28 reds. Could have taken many more but that's enough for the 6 of us for the year. I would be hesitant to try it with your rig and a 6 HP, might get washed out to sea with the outgoing tide. Good Luck!

Dipnetting the Kenai
    Has anyone ever attempted dipnetting the Kenai with a cataraft? I have an AIRE Jag with a 6 HP 4 Stroke. Seems Like it would be a nice stable platform to net from, just don't know if the current is too strong (depending on tide)?? Any help appreciated..
    Thanks
    Did you go? I took the family (wife, 6 and 4 year old daughters) last Tuesday. We did well, 55 reds in 3 hours. I think everyone on the river new we caught our first fish. The girls were very excited. It was a great experience for them

It was very uneventful.. In fact, went both weekends. The crowds were not nearly as bad as I thought. We dipped on Sun. the 17th. With a really low tide (-2). The six HP was a little sluggish, but still did fine. It took about 20-25 minutes from the commercial boats back up to the warren ames bridge. We just used that time to gut the fish. On Sat the next weekend we had five in the raft. Didn't do as great as some of the post I've seen, but I walked away with about 25 reds, which is perfect for my family of 4.. Thanks again for the advice....