Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New S&W Governor

Default New S&W Governor

What are your thoughts on this gun from S&W. Will take a full or mixed cylinder of .410 shot shells, 45ACP, or 45 longs. Seems like an ideal weapon for field or home defense.

Makes me wonder how the courts will view a people killing decdicated handgun like these? May be hard to claim self defense?
    Steve

I look at it completely differently. For example, in home you use 410 bird shot so you don't kill. In the field (bears), you load 410 slugs and/or 45 longs.

Quote Originally Posted by cross21114 View Post
    I look at it completely differently. For example, in home you use 410 bird shot so you don't kill. In the field (bears), you load 410 slugs and/or 45 longs.
    I can't imagine a scenario (home or afield) when I would use lethal force and not desire lethal consequences...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I can't imagine a scenario (home or afield) when I would use lethal force and not desire lethal consequences...
    +1, using a gun as a 'less-lethal' option is not a sensible approach to SD. Not the best way to save the lives of you and yours or defend your actions in court. ALWAYS shoot to kill.

Anyway, whoever thought that S&W would resort to copying Taurus!!! Even the name 'Govenor' is so close to 'Judge'. Yet Taurus now have the raging judge with 410/45Colt/454Casull, a much better option.

Not a huge fan of SW over-priced copycat guns myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    i certainly agree with you on this. people confused on the most elementary and unquestioned right to self defence should consider their need for survival. for reasons only known to the perpetrator, victims may live or die. people involved in a breech of home security ( home invasion ) are in a huge minority. of course for those involved it is 100%.
    i personally like the new S&W and look forward to some range time........as to the "copy" argument, who hasn't copied glock?
    happy trails.
    jh

The gun is a joke, just like the Judge. I can't believe S&W would even put their name on it.

A couple of quick thoughts.

Yes, the gun is a joke or a gimmick. I have no idea why anyone would reproduce the judge, but obviously there is a market for it somewhere. I can see using it for snakes in snake country if snakes are the only threat.

Regarding Glock copies...if you are referring to the M&P series they are fine pistols. I shot my M&P 9C and Glock 20SF today.

Regarding bird shot for self defense. Don't you dare. If you are pointing a weapon at someone you better be willing to kill him/her. Shells loaded with rocksalt or black eyed peas(Drive By Truckers song reference) went out with the invention of the lawsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post
    The gun is a joke, just like the Judge. I can't believe S&W would even put their name on it.

DITTO!!!!!

.410 belongs under a tree shooting tree rats.

I bought one. Have yet to fire it, but from what I've heard from fellow owners on the S&W forum, it's quite accurate for what it is. I wanted a backpacking/hiking/airplane gun and it fits the bill nicely. I like being able to throw some 6 shot in and take a bird or rabbit in a survival situation and have some +p loads (yes, it is rated for them) in 45 LC for changing Mr. Big Brown N. Furry's mind. The 6 round moon clips for .45 ACP are slick.

I'll get back to you all when I fire some rounds through it.

Quote Originally Posted by akaviator View Post
    I like being able to throw some 6 shot in and take a bird or rabbit in a survival situation and have some +p loads (yes, it is rated for them) in 45 LC for changing Mr. Big Brown N. Furry's mind.
    I'll get back to you all when I fire some rounds through it.
    I hope it is better than the Judge because the ones I've fired with bird shot have big holes in the pattern past about 20' or so. I tried to shoot a mouse in the barn with 7 1/2s and it took 2 shots to kill him at about 10 yds. My 4" 22 mag with shot shell has about the same effective range....20 feet at best. The 45 LC is a FINE round as is the 45 ACP but good luck with the 410.

ALthough it is a single shot and I have never tried them with the 45/410 barrel with the choke, the Contender looks like a possible survival gun...throw in a 22LR barrel and you might have something. My 10" 22LR barrel shoots quarter size groups at 25 yds off a rest with iron sights and with a scope would probably do that at 50 yds as well.

This is a very uniformed approach to self defense. Many people have been seriously wounded and killed after "wounding" their adverasry. Thinking that a wound will stop the imediate threat is very naive

Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post

+1....... The 410 shot shell at about 600 FPS which the speed that a Judge was chrono'ed is not my idea of an effective shot shot. 45 Colt or 44 mag shot shell in a regular 45 or 44 is a better way to go if one wants to shoot shot from a revolver IMHO

.410 slug for a bear? You gotta be kidding.

These .410 revolvers are sorta neat- but I'd prefer to keep them in the category they belong....a novelty at best.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    These .410 revolvers are sorta neat- but I'd prefer to keep them in the category they belong....a novelty at best.
    Yup they are cool and fun to play with but about useless as a practical tool. I have patterned a bunch of these 410 handguns and always get a huge doe-nut shaped pattern because of the rifling spinning the wad. There are attachments that counter this but it must be removed to shoot 45s so ether you have a little hand held 410 shotgun or very heavy 45 . . . defeats the point (if there even is one) in my book.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

<thread hijack in progress>

You know...this flavor of the month madness is exactly the kind of thing that smoked GM in the not so distant past and even had S&W on the ropes some years ago with 2 new models a month for a while. Too many models with too many similarities and while initial sales might be high, my guess is you won't find one in the catalog in the future. It seems vogue to produce dozens of variations on a theme these days in the hopes of garnering a few more sales- Sig, Smith, and even Ruger are producing some pretty niche oriented designs or catering to markets that are already hopelessly flooded (ARs, 1911s anybody?).

Relying on novelty rather than genuine usefulness to sell guns to make cash- big mistake from a longevity view. Maybe its just me, but I'd like to see fewer models with an increased focus on quality and reliability and less novelty products. In the ye olde days if you wanted a revolver you bought a Smith, a 1911 was a Colt, a rifle was a Winchester or Remington.. and if you couldn't afford one of those you bought a Ruger and if you had some serious blow money you ordered a Sig to impress your friends at the hardware store.

When you look back into firearms history most of the novelty makers are long, long gone...what does this say for the likes of Smith in the years to come? I'll be the first to call it- I think our firearms manufacturers are significantly worried about their future and are catering to genuinely small niches in pursuit of cash...

Right on Hodgeman!!

Smith has been a disappointment in quality for a number of years now. I think Ruger has surged ahead of Smith because they produce a pretty good gun for a not awful price and have good customer service. I we survive the current group in Washington without major efforts to stop gun production in the US, I wonder where Smith will fall sales wise.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    <thread hijack in progress>

You know...this flavor of the month madness is exactly the kind of thing that smoked GM in the not so distant past and even had S&W on the ropes some years ago with 2 new models a month for a while. Too many models with too many similarities and while initial sales might be high, my guess is you won't find one in the catalog in the future. It seems vogue to produce dozens of variations on a theme these days in the hopes of garnering a few more sales- Sig, Smith, and even Ruger are producing some pretty niche oriented designs or catering to markets that are already hopelessly flooded (ARs, 1911s anybody?).

Relying on novelty rather than genuine usefulness to sell guns to make cash- big mistake from a longevity view. Maybe its just me, but I'd like to see fewer models with an increased focus on quality and reliability and less novelty products. In the ye olde days if you wanted a revolver you bought a Smith, a 1911 was a Colt, a rifle was a Winchester or Remington.. and if you couldn't afford one of those you bought a Ruger and if you had some serious blow money you ordered a Sig to impress your friends at the hardware store.

When you look back into firearms history most of the novelty makers are long, long gone...what does this say for the likes of Smith in the years to come? I'll be the first to call it- I think our firearms manufacturers are significantly worried about their future and are catering to genuinely small niches in pursuit of cash...
    Incredibly well said. This is a big reason why HK has some of the best QC in the business right now, and why SIG has taken a nose dive.

You want a P226? Sure thing, do you want it to be black? Green? Red? Pink? Rainbow? Tactical? 1776 Commemorative edition? Blackwater edition? Navy SEAL edition? Mall Ninja edition? etc. etc. etc...

You want a P30? Sure thing, do you want it to be black? No? Than tough luck.

I have always liked the idea of a revolving rifle just as I like the old Colt Lightning. Of course I like the old short and double barreled smooth bores with a pistol grip that they used for shooting tigers in India when the tiger was climbing the elephant to get them. I just accept those kind of guns for what they are. Every body should own some thing that is a little bit strange as far as guns go. After all, shooting does not always have to be a "deadly serious thing". It can also be just plain old fun! Heck, I shoot my old Benjamin pellet gun more then any thing else.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I have always liked the idea of a revolving rifle just as I like the old Colt Lightning. Of course I like the old short and double barreled smooth bores with a pistol grip that they used for shooting tigers in India when the tiger was climbing the elephant to get them. I just accept those kind of guns for what they are. Every body should own some thing that is a little bit strange as far as guns go. After all, shooting does not always have to be a "deadly serious thing". It can also be just plain old fun! Heck, I shoot my old Benjamin pellet gun more then any thing else.
    The problem though is that guns like the Judge and Governor are intentionally marketed to unknowledgeable end-users as serious self defense weapons. And there's plenty of suckers out there buying into it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast