Thread: Underwater/Waterproof Camera

Default Underwater/Waterproof Camera

Looking for a quality underwater digital camera. Done some research on them with mixed reviews. Looking for something that takes good pictures above and below water.
    Thanks
    Griffin

We just bought an Olympus TG 610 and haven't tried it underwater yet, but we are going to take tons of underwater video and pics soon. So far the wife loves it. Not a bad camera for $299.

Can't go wrong with the Olympus as John mentioned. I've had my 1030SW for a few years now, time to upgrade to the 8010SW and HD.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Can't go wrong with the Olympus as John mentioned. I've had my 1030SW for a few years now, time to upgrade to the 8010SW and HD.

Fish On!
    I am going to buy one when my kids move out.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

We have the Canon Powershot D10, and it has become our go-to camera for all hunting, hiking, fishing, and diving. It takes great pictures both above and below the water (though it is only rated down to 33 feet).

Here are a few pictures taken with it:

A few more underwater shots:

And some above ground pics:

Default Olympus Stylus Tough 8010

I have the Olympus Stylus Tough 8010. Great rugged camera takes great pics and good video. Retails for around $370.00. Check amazon sometimes the prices are a little cheaper. This camera is also crush proof.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20988.jpg   Chulitna King Release.jpg  

I have been looking for a camera to replace my old Panasonic Lumix. Its been a great camera but it's time to upgrade. The camera that I have been looking to upgrade to is the waterproof Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3. Its waterproof to 40' and it has a Leica lens. I've read a lot of reviews on it and it seems like a darn nice set up.

My buddy has the Lumix and has taken it diving from California to Japan and thailand with great success. If a new cam was in my budget this year it is what I would purchase.

I have the Cannon Powershot D10 as Brian's pictures show you, it is an awesome camera. I have some great underwater shots.

Agree with Olympus Tough! Stay away from the Pentax W90 or successor. We purchased one last spring before our Yakutat trip, worked great, but never dunked either. First swim in Kona later in the spring and it died. Used the Olympus on several snorkel/swims last month when we went back to Kona and it worked great. Great clarity, high def video, simply love it.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Default Underwater Camera

I have a Fujifilm XP which is water, shock, dust and freeze proof and has taken some pretty decent underwater pics/videos. Only complaint is that it sometimes takes poor pics in low light conditions. Here's a dry shot and underwater shot looking at the same King's eggs. It is very reasonably priced under $200 and i'm happy with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0008.jpg   IMG_2267.jpg  

Default depends more on the user than the camera, I suspect

I have an olympus tough (not the supertough), the 6020 I believe, and my take on this and others is that the picture quality depends more on the user than the camera.

The olympus don't come with a printed manual - but it is loaded onto the internal memory of the camera as a pdf.......so I suppose in order to learn how to use it, you have to print and read the whole thing. There's 10 million variations of iso and flash or no, 4 modes of macro, pixel density, and who knows what else.

The thing will take videos of bucking broncos at a rodeo.....at night......I know, I just did yesterday in Estes Park CO.

The olympus I have has a retractable lens cover but I don't think they or any of the other manufacturers of the small cameras do that anymore. Nor is there a lens cover for any of them - kinda inconvenient if you are like me and just shove the thing in a wading jacket pocket with no case. Over time, you will get scritches and scratches and they'll slightly affect the quality. But by then........something else will come out.

I wouldn't put jack sheet faith in ANY of the online reviews of cameras. Go to a store and try them.

The hardest thing to get used to.....compared to film cameras.....is this "delay" in taking the picture. They all do it to some extent.

My suggestion is buy something and learn how to use it.

I have the Panasonic Lumix TS2 model from last year. Waterproof to 30 feet and takes great pictures. I used it snorkeling in the carribean last year. It was attached to my wrist all day while i was in the water. Never leaked. Took great pictures with its underwater mode.

It also takes really good HQ video.

I have abused the hell out of it, dropped in a stream and it bounced along the rocks till i was able to catch it. It got dropped about 6 feet onto the aluminum deck of a jet boat, I have had it in my fly fishing fanny pack when I was fishing in deeper/faster water so it was getting soaked. Hell just the abuse of a four year trying to take pictures of his dad fishing and the thing still works great and you can barely tell its over a year old of hard heavy abuse.

Up here it is awesome to have a camera that I can pass to my four year old when fighting a fish and not have to worry hes going to drop it on the rocks or water and ruin it. I have used it in February while skiing, Novemeber stormy weather fishing, April steelhead fishing, all summer long in countless fishing trips rain or shine and every time i get good quality HQ video and 14 mp pictures that are clear and good quality. For some sample pics/video from it just check some of my other posts.

I have an olympus 8010 and a go pro for vids. The olympus is a nice little camera. Like some have implied, it's not idiot proof. Their "program" or full auto mode seems to have a tough time in the outdoors. Need to take a few pictures it seems like to get it right. But definitely capable of taking some great pictures.

What I have found is that almost every camera out there is capable of taking "good enough" pictures but none of them are anywhere near as good as a full DSLR ( I have a canon D60) but my DSLR isn't shock or waterproof either.

While I really like the olympus 8010, I ABSOLUTELY HATE the long warm up time after you hit the "on" button and the delay between taking the shots. Haven't looked but maybe there is a way to speed up the cycle time for taking the next picture.

More so than megapixels for the average fisherman/outdoorsman I think the following are more important.

1) Time from thinking "Oh geez, that'd make an awesome picture" to actually taking picture time.
    2) Focus time and sensitivity
    3) Lowlight ability

To this day, I take about 50% of my glory shots with my iphone though I have the olympus point and shoot and the D60 DSLR with me. The picture is often "good enough" and its quick and I can immediately send.

I've had the Olympus Stylus for a few years now. I take it fishing, hunting, 4 wheeling, and snowmaching. It's holding up very well and takes great pictures.

Kelvin