Thread: How to tie the net to the boat

Default How to tie the net to the boat

I am new to dip netting from a boat. I have viewed several videos on you tube but do not show clearly how to tie the net to the boat. Can anyone explain the best method and possibly have pics?

Default Method A

Quote Originally Posted by Jamason View Post
    Can anyone explain the best method...
    With fishing, the subject of best method is open to debate. Here, however is how we do it:

1. Tie one end of the rope to the net hoop.
    2. Twirl the pole handle a sufficient number of times to give yourself some adjustment room in the rope length.
    3. Tie the other end of the rope to an appropriate location on the bow. Some people mount a bar or board across the beam of the boat that extends off the side of the boat a few feet and tie off to it.
    4. When you put your net in the water, see how much work you have to do to hold it. Twirl or untwirl the pole to allow the rope to carry the load with your pole out 90 degrees from line of travel.
    5. Fire when ready.

If your boat driver is also dipping, beware that it is real easy to catch your prop in the net if you're not careful.

~tr

If you go with a rope, I like the twirling feature of gr8fl's method above. Sometimes you may want to adjust your depth or distance, and that seems like a great way to do it.

A couple years ago, we went to a cable system with carabiners. We use those thin coated cables that you use for making dog runs outside, not sure what that's called. Each cable has a thimble and the little u-bolt connectors on each end to create a loop for the carabiners.

Using a large main carabiner, I hook that to the bow. Then I hook 4 cables to that carabiner, 2 on each side of the boat. I run a long cable to the stern and a shorter one near the center and console. With carabiners, I can quickly disconnect my nets for any reason. Sometimes when multiple people hit fish, you need to get some nets out of the way to make room. Also having dipped for a couple seasons now in the same boat, I know the perfect lengths for my cables so I can have 4 nets in the water. Using this system, I don't have to retie anything. I just clip to the bow, clip to my net, and hang it off the side.

I don't have a picture at the moment, but I'll take one tomorrow when I have it set up.

Default thanks

Thanks, I assume that you are connecting to the net where the hoop meets the pole?

Thanks, I assume that you are connecting to the net where the hoop meets the pole?
    Yup, right there where the net frame goes into the yoke. You definitely want to be clipped to the hoop itself in case your pins or bolts pop off.

Speaking of pins, some people would recommend drilling another hole through your yoke and pole to stick a bolt through there. Those push pins are unreliable! We use bolts with wing nuts so that it is easy to unscrew and break down.

Thanks to all! I am heading out for a practice run before the crowds come this weekend.

I tie off my nets to the mid cleat on the 20' boat we dip out of adjustments can be made at the cleat if needed but like kbskinny11 said after doing it you will find a length that works for you with little to no adjustment needed.
    I tie a good bowline on the other end of the line and go through the center on the y piece of the net frame them over the end of the net ends stub before putting the handle on and securing with the bolt and wingnut.
    This makes the net pull from the center and it makes it impossible for the net to come off the line if it is dropped or snagged for some reason. If you tie just around the pole the line can slip up the pole and be a pain And with out a tee on the end slip right off.
    Rigged properlyI can hold my net how I want with one finger while underway headed downriver. You need to hold on good when fishing but I used that as a test that my net was rigged right and had minimal resistence compared to other nets people use.
    Last year my fiancees brother lost one of my nets after he snagged a rock. They were fishing with a friend of theirs from church because I was on the slope. The owner of the boat had just drilled holes in his aluminum boat and added some cheap eye bolts and the eye opened up.
    I guess what that last story emphasizes is to tie off to something stout and use good knots.
    btw I only use dipnets from Mike's in Sterling as their tapered desigh on the hoop proves to be very stout with minimal drag a big plus in boat control.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kbskinny11 View Post
    We use bolts with wing nuts so that it is easy to unscrew and break down.
    Bring extras. Met a guy at the Copper this year that lost his while walking in. He got all the way out to the site and had no way to connect his pole sections.

~tr

Default Things learned

Thanks for all the input. I took the net to the river and only caught one red and one King (35#). The rope worked well and my net is a mike's welding shop net. I did find that the rod holders, cleats and top supports hung the net and so will devise some sort of canvas to drape over the items mentioned to make hauling in the net much easier.

I was wondering if I would ever get the King in the boat since the net became entangled on something everytime I tried to lift it in the boat.

it also appeared the people in the other boats with the longer handles had an easier time controlling the nets. I may get me an extended handle today.

Thanks to all! I am heading out for a practice run before the crowds come this weekend.
    That's the smartest thing I've seen said on here in a while! Iron out the kinks before joining the fray...

No guts, no glory!!! Jump in and slay em no matter what!!! That is my story and I'm sticking to it!!!! Leaving for NY tonight so I don;t care what happens for the next 10 days, Once back I will care a bagfull!!!
    Last edited by thewhop2000; 07-14-2011 at 14:57. Reason: cause I can!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    No guts, no glory!!! Jump in and slay em no matter what!!! That is my story and I'm sticking to it!!!! Leaving for NY tonight so I don;t care what happens for the next 10 days, Once back I will care a bagfull!!!

Have a great trip. See you on the river.

~tr

Too funny..........
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?