Thread: Budget meat hunts

Default Budget meat hunts

Any body have any suggestions for some inexpensive hunts to put some meat in the freezer? My wife and I are moving up in April so this fall we will have to pay out of state fees, just wondering any good hunts to fill the freezer without breaking the bank. By the way she hunts also.

Would help to know where you are located? Fairbanks and Anchorage locales would be two different answers.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

deer is probably the cheapest other than road hunting....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

As a Non resident costco would be your best bet if your looking at expense only, Sorry Budy.. If you bow hunt and live near fairbanks Caribou on the haul road can be verey productive. It's not that expensive to drive from Anchorage either.

Once you're residents, the antlerless moose hunt in 20A would be a great bet, but until then...just the tags alone will take you out of the "inexpensive" realm, at least by my standards.

-Brian

A non res small game liscesnce is what $25 rabbits are pretty tasty!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Make some friends, tag along on a hunt, and be a sherpa, they'll give you some meat. no such thing as budget hunts here in Alaska, even for residents, the fun part is buying all the gear you need to hunt, then all the time you must put in researching areas etc. and to top that off, the price of fuel is going up again! Alaska is a big state in case you haven't heard, you have to travel great distances to get to prime remote areas. I still say Safeway, Sams, or Fred Meyers if you just want meat, but some peole claim (in the other thread, on trophy or meat hunting) theres all these bad chemicals in it, and say they can hunt a whole year for under $400...I don't believe it, it costs me that in gas and food to go up the haul Rd and back...welcome to wild real Alaska!...K

Didn't say where you were relocating to, but if you make it to Glennallen or Ninilchick or any one of the places that allow you to hunt fed or state subsistance hunts, it will be cheaper than going to Costco for meat. Coming into the country without ties will allow you to choose a good location, rather than settling for some of the less desirable locations like Anchorge, Soldotna, Fairbanks, etc. Choose Wisely, for areas that offer the lifestyle you want, and you will be happier. Otherwise, you will just be close to the real Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    say they can hunt a whole year for under $400...I don't believe it, it costs me that in gas and food to go up the haul Rd and back...
    K- Typically, you're right on the money - hunting in Alaska is very expensive. I did, however, take a spike moose a year and a half ago that cost me less than $100 total (heck, I think it was less than $50). I don't factor in the cost of my rifle, as I've used that on many, many hunts, and I didn't need any other gear. The cost of an hour drive ($15 gas), and the cost of one bullet. Done. I'm glad hunting isn't usually that easy, but once in a long while it is actually a money saver!

-Brian

Default As cheap as it gets-

Swede,

If you're in the Anchorage area you might try a hike-in black bear hunt on the Kenai Peninsula south of Anchorage. There are a fair number of blackies in there and if you're willing to work, it's pretty easy on the wallet.

Welcome to Alaska!

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Already own cannoe, rifle,tent, ect.(saved for years too get everything I need)
    Ussually hunt within 50 miles of the house or have the wife drop me off at one of the floats within same distance. $10.00 in gass tops
    Box of 300 win mags $31.00
    License fishing and huntting $48.00( Upuntil last year quailified for low income lisence $5.00)
    Ussually stay out for about 2 weeks at a time do my own dehidrating and eat alot of romin nuddles food $100.00 tops
    As stated before ussually cant afford trip to haul road.
    Total $189.00

YOU OWE ME A APPOLOGY KAHAHAWAI A PUBLIC ONE NOW!!!!!!!!!

Rick P.

Default Location makes the difference

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Make some friends, tag along on a hunt, and be a sherpa, they'll give you some meat. no such thing as budget hunts here in Alaska, even for residents, the fun part is buying all the gear you need to hunt, then all the time you must put in researching areas etc. and to top that off, the price of fuel is going up again! Alaska is a big state in case you haven't heard, you have to travel great distances to get to prime remote areas. I still say Safeway, Sams, or Fred Meyers if you just want meat, but some peole claim (in the other thread, on trophy or meat hunting) theres all these bad chemicals in it, and say they can hunt a whole year for under $400...I don't believe it, it costs me that in gas and food to go up the haul Rd and back...welcome to wild real Alaska!...K
    Not sure where you live K but if you live in "real" Alaska, there are lots of low budget, world class opportunities. Out here in the bush, me and the boys have collectively taken 4 moose in the last two seasons and none of us have expended more than 10 gallons of gas and 40 in groceries on our serious hunts. If we're goofin off and fishin, nailin ducks, pickin berries and maybe shooting an opportune moose, we travel further, but out in the sticks it's not that hard....almost easy if your smart. Plus, when the bou used to be thicker in the Mulchatna herd. Many a man/woman/small kid went out on snogo's burned 15 gallons of gas and harvested 3-5 bou for the freezer. There are indeed hunts that are cheaper than Freddies, you just haven't looked hard enough to find them....or don't want to sacrifice your Khaladi brother's coffee served by a busty barrista on your way to the office each morning to have these opportunities. Alaska is a big state and is in my mind there are multiple truly different mentalities and living conditions that we are all in. There's roadside Ak, then there's Bush AK and each has divisions within. Each one has plusses and minuses, I haven't been in a movie theatre in four years, but I had a six gallon moose hunt last year and really haven't bought domestic meat since I got here...except for chicken wings....grouse are just too small for that .

Plus, Rick P just posted that it is more than possible even on the road system, but for his own sake I'd keep quiet or he's gonna have a lot of company on these close to home hunts.

My experience on the road system is limited and thusly I keep my comments to my realm of experience in southwest alaska....probably not a bad idea for those that never leave the pavement for more than a week as well.

If you live on the road system, you'll find that non-res license and tags are by far the least expensive part of a hunt. The cheapest road hunt with pretty good odds is caribou on the hall road, but it is a hard hunt with a rifle, and you'll still be out a couple hundred bucks on fuel, not to mention you'll likely need a new windshield, headlight or two and maybe another tire.

Been hutning on a shoestring for years. Yes I probably have a lower success rate and my not see many of the big boys but I do well enough. You just have to be crative and willing to put in the work. Admittedly My back yard butts up to BLM and national forest land so I can do alot of hunting by just heading out the back door but I still manage at least 1 flaot trip a year, is it way back in no but you have to work within your limitations.

Just one Alaskans opinion
    Rick P

I have deleted two posts in this thread and have communicated the reasons for this action to the two members in question.

For future reference: Threats of violence will not be tolerated in any manner on these forums. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by making such inflammatory statements. In the future, any such statements will result in the offending member being banned for a period of time. We work very hard to keep these forums a welcoming and friendly place, and simply will not allow that effort to be undermined by a disagreement among members, regardless of how serious or benign it may be.

Thank you for your help in maintaining forum decorum.

-Brian

Default low budget hunts

There are low budget hunts out there, but you have to be an opportunist. If you live in Anchorage, a Brooks Range sheep hunt ain't cheap, but might not be bad if you live in Ft. Yukon. It just depends on where you live and how much research you do.
    Being willing to work helps a lot as well. I look at some of the goat hunts near Whittier and see oppotunity in a 10 or 12 mile hike over a 5,000 ft high ridge. Other people look at me and shake their head in disbelief. I pay my dues in the gym year round so I can grab those opportunites.
    Now, that being said, this isn't the Lower 48. Don't expect to drive 20 minutes, walk 200 yards into the woods, climb into a treestand, and kill a buck.

Lot's of folks get lucky and kill moose road hunting up the steese and elliot highways. I've got bulls that way before.

There are a few good spots that are close to Anchorage where you can hunt for Moose without drawing a permit and spend less than $300 in fuel after hunting the entire season. I know of 5 moose taken over the last few years personally...note these arn't my 'favorite' hunting locations but will do if I can't get out for a trip.

Default Another tip on budget hunts-

I think one of the reason cheaper hunts fail is because they aren't taken as seriously as fly-out expeditions. I mean, when you can toss the rifle and pack in the pickup and be out hunting in an hour or two from the house, do you really spend that much time researching the area and such? Oh, I know you might not need to do much research in areas where you hunt all the time, but what about that spot somebody told you about?

So... to help our friend here, here's a tip. Contact the area biologist with ADFG concerning the areas of concern, just as you would for a more complex hunt. You might learn some insider tips that will put you on a little hotspot that will be yours for years to come! Also remember that loose lips sink ships! Everyone has ten friends, and if you let someone else in on your "secret" spot, you might find someone else's pickup in your parking spot next time! The information shared so far has been pretty general. I'm sure it was intentionally that way. It's going to be up to you to excavate the details. Use your Alaska Atlas book, get some good maps, and dive in! I've said before that within two hours of where I sit in Alaska's largest city, I can hunt moose, caribou, black bear, brown / grizzly bear, Dall sheep, goat, and wolf. Granted, we live in a unique part of the state, but the point is that it's all out there waiting for you. As the saying goes, "Anchorage is only ten minutes away from Alaska!"

Enjoy your research; it's one of the best parts of an Alaska hunt!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Michael;

Personally I start scouting my regular spots and looking for new ones right away in the spring and check up on them from time to time all summer, that way I know whats going on in each of them and can eliminate the non productive areas before I even get started. It's not as hard as it sounds some of my spots are verey near good fishing, others have good berrie picking and some are simply a fun hike. Also if ya go just a little farther in from the trail, river or road than the rest of the folks your chances improve dramatically. Of course if your hunting in a verey popular area the oppisset can end up being true and the better huntting is close in becase everyone else whent screaming off on four wheelers leveing you alone with some nice bulls and a short pack out, this case is rare but I took a 55" bull about 75 yards from a well known well traveled trail head about 6 years ago.

Rick P