Thread: Troll caught halibut

Default Troll caught halibut

Is it just me or what? The farther along the season goes the more halibut I catch trolling for salmon. Obviously you`ll pick them up in shallow water but I`m noticing a trend in deep water (300+) when only trolling from 25-55` down. Last fall it was 2 good sized lings in 400+` of water fishing 32` deep. If that wasn`t enough wierdness for that trip we also nailed a pair of 40# halibut later in the same area. This year hasn`t yeilded any halibut from the deep but can pick up lings at will when trolling some deep water areas and there isn`t any structure to speak of. I suppose the predators are just getting carried away with tons of salmon feeding and are using it to their advantage.

Anyone else experiencing the same??

Some troll caught fish from one trip.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Wow, very cool, only halibut i've trolled up were in about 80' of water and about 10lbs. at the biggest in Homer. I need to learn to troll like you!

Both will come up when the food is high in the water. Sometimes you can't catch a halibut on bottom but will do fine in midwater when mooching or jigging a bait layer, especially capelin and needlefish.

I've caught big halibut and ling that hit a hooked pink salmon right under the surface in 100+ feet of water off capes and headlands, and halibut that grabbed pink salmon in <20' off river mouths.

100lber and 176lber caught on 17lb test half way up in the water column...happens all the time depending on what prey is in the area.

The first year my wife & I came up to Alaska (2006) we caught several halibut while trolling herring rigs for salmon off Deep Creek. Nothing real big (<15#), but they were hitting.