Thread: 375 Holderlin

Default 375 Holderlin

Does anyone have case dimensions/overall length for the 375 Holderlin? I have absolutely no good reason to get one of these, but I have a Mauser action (VZ-24) lying around that I'd like to use for something that was designed for Mausers. The 375 Holderlin is basically a necked up 8x68 as I understand it, but overall length is critical with both of these since the 8x68 was intended to max out the magazine length of the model 98 action. There is enough variation in the various Mauser actions out there that even thought it "should" work, it may not. With my action I am .070 short for the 8x68. 6.5x68 would probably work, and I have considered it, but I'd like to know more about the 375 first.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Yeah, I saw that, too. Not much other info out there. The whole project is on hold for right now (too many other things to do during the summer/fall). I'm leaning more and more toward an 8mm-06 (possibly AI). What could be more appropriate for an old style sporterized Mauser? My goal is to end up with something that looks like a '50s-early '60s sporter, and 8mm-06 is would be correct for the period.
    James Madison

Hi Walkin, I registered here trying to follow a link about a 50 cal. on a M-98. However what I was going to post applies here too.
    The parent 8x68S brass is about unobtanium. So here's my solution using the Ruger 375 Basic brass as a parent. Note that my present taper only will go to to .416 cal., while my 450 has a lot less taper. As it stands I can only do from my Boer 8 up to my Boer 10.6, with my present PT&G reamer and Go gauge. But all of these will indeed feed through unaltered M-98 magazine boxes, and they ape the old 8x68S's shoulders and case body tapers. It's just that the Ruger 375 case is a little larger diameter than the DWM case. I hope this link helps you. Incidentally my Boer 8 is just a re-chambered BRNO with it's 29" mil. bbl.. It has the exact same H2O volume as a 8mm x 300 Win. Mag. case, but with a .374" long neck. The 416 duplicates the Taylor, and has the same half inch long neck as the 1911 Rigby, and the .450 splits the volume difference between the 458 Win. and the .458 Lott. Using my custom Hornady case forming set, I've made up all the sizes in dummies and cycled them through my converted BRNO action. And like their German godfather, they do feed slick. http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/l534/dtrainmore/

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    What could be more appropriate for an old style sporterized Mauser?
    How about a .318 Westley-Richards, .404 Jeffery, .425 Westley-Richards, 9x57 Mauser, 9.3x57 Mauser, 9.3x62....the list goes on. The problem being there are probably less than ten gunmakers in the United States capable of taking the m98 and building a reliable rifle unless it is simply a necked up or down 8x57 parent cartridge. Mauser (the company), milled the feed rails differently for different cartridges so they would feed reliably. Find an original m1909 Argentine rifle and compare it to the k98 for an example of this.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    How about a .318 Westley-Richards, .404 Jeffery, .425 Westley-Richards, 9x57 Mauser, 9.3x57 Mauser, 9.3x62....the list goes on. The problem being there are probably less than ten gunmakers in the United States capable of taking the m98 and building a reliable rifle unless it is simply a necked up or down 8x57 parent cartridge. Mauser (the company), milled the feed rails differently for different cartridges so they would feed reliably. Find an original m1909 Argentine rifle and compare it to the k98 for an example of this.
    This is exactly why I've more or less settled on 8mm-06. Lots of these were done, and it is a pretty simple conversion. 8mm-06 doesn't offer any particular advantage over other rifles that I already own, but it is appropriate for what I want to do.
    James Madison