Thread: New here - Am I allowed to hunt in Alaska?

Default New here - Am I allowed to hunt in Alaska?

Hi,

Basically I'm confused about how the local fish and game authority would view my residency status with regards to buying a moose licence in the coming season.

I'm a Canadian citizen; moved here 5 months ago. I think I would be considered an Alaska resident but not sure. I've had a fixed address here since october/06 and got my SSN shortly after. Got my Alaska driver's licence in january this year. Somewhere I heard you have to be here as a resident for a year before you can buy a hunting licence. Is this true? I would really like to get a moose tag this coming fall...

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong but I think I read somewhere that moose is a general tag but caribou and sheep are draw-only. Also, when does moose open in the fall?

Thanks!

You've got a few points of confusion here.

1 - You must be physically present in Alaska for a year before claiming resident status. Date of drivers license, mailing address, etc. do not legally matter - only your physical presence in the state with intent to stay. You will not be a resident this coming fall.

2 - There are general tags and drawing tags from moose, caribou, and sheep. Whether a hunt is drawing or general tag can be determined by reading the hunting regulations on ADF&G's website..

3 - Moose hunts generally open in late August or early September, but there are a few seasons that are open into the winter. For these late hunts you would qualify as a resident, so that may give you a shot. Most hunts in this time frame are for anterless moose, however, so forget about any trophy quality.

4 - You can still hunt moose or caribou as a non-resident, but I believe that non-res alien tags cost even more than a typical non-res tag. My advice would be to hook up with a local and go along as a packer. You can offer your help in exchange for learning the ropes of hunting in AK. That way you'll have some in-field education and be ready to roll next season.

-Brian

Nice link, thanks Brian. I'll read it over. I have a frame pack & all the equipment so hopefully I can get out with a local for the early season hunt then with my own tag for the later hunt. Just looking for a freezer pet; don't need anything with a big old satellite dish on its head, just more weight to pack out.

Thanks again!

One correction Brian you have too live here one fiscal year, January first to the following January first. Just like PFD qualiffication.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    One correction Brian you have too live here one fiscal year, January first to the following January first. Just like PFD qualiffication.
    Huh...I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the tip, Rick.

-Brian

Default alien

4 - You can still hunt moose or caribou as a non-resident, but I believe that non-res alien tags cost even more than a typical non-res tag. My advice would be to hook up with a local and go along as a packer. You can offer your help in exchange for learning the ropes of hunting in AK. That way you'll have some in-field education and be ready to roll next season.

-Brian[/QUOTE]

He is not an alien any longer he has a ssn so he just needs to but a non res tag. I dont believe their is a timeline on that part of it any thoughts?

I think a nonresident alien needs a guide for all big game, if i renmember right. I don't know about a "resident alien", if there is such a designation. Unless something's changed in the last few years, hunting and fishing residency is different than FD residence. You need to live in the state 12 consecutive months, not Jan1-Dec 31 of a year for hunting and fishing residency. So if you first show up in state on 15 Jan of '07; you are a resident for hunting/fishing as of 15 Jan '08, but not eligible for the dividend until 31 Dec of '08, filing in March '09.

Could be wrong, but when I went through the Military Wildlife Conservation course at Elmendorf a few years ago, that's how the brownshirt trooper said it was..

Default Definition of the year thing differs.

Alls I know is I got my legal hunting and fishing license before I qualified for a PFD. I got here in April, bought resident tags in time for spring bear a year later but didn't qualify for a pfd until I had been here something like a year and eight months.

In my understanding. once you are here and INTEND to remain here INDEFINITELY, you are considered a resident....but to qualify for a resident license it takes one year of residency....for a pfd you must fullfill both of the things I just mentioned only that year of residency must be at least January 1 until December 31 of a year. Thus my April though Dec. 31 start here didn't count towards the pfd, I could just as well have gotten here on midnight Jan. 1. Hope this helps cuz I had to hammer through it all to keep it straight.

A friend of mine is also canuck resident alien. I believe there is a difference for guiding requirements between the two. She wanted her dad to come up here (nonresident alien) as he was a big huntin kind of guy, but he'd need a guide...to which he laughed out loud but ya know. But I believe she as a resident alien could...

Most importantly....dont ask us, call the authorities....if you get cited, a proper defense is not to adress the court "but your honor, the guys on aod said it was okay!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Twelve consecutive months establishes residency as far as I know.

The non-resident alien thing is kind of confusing though. Sounds like a call to F&G to me.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by jeff p View Post
    He is not an alien any longer he has a ssn so he just needs to but a non res tag. I dont believe their is a timeline on that part of it any thoughts?
    Are you sure that just getting a SSN makes someone no longer an alien? I thought you had to be a naturalized citizen to move from alien to citizen. Aliens can be residents after a year, but short of a year I don't think that a SSN will change their status. Any immigration lawyers in the house?

-Brian

Default Might be of help or not.

(Source - http://www.legallanguage.com/immigra...onguide2.shtml)

You become a United States citizen in two ways: by birth or through naturalization. If you were born in the US (including, in most cases, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the US Virgin Islands) or born to a US citizen, you are a US citizen. Your birth certificate is (usually) proof of your citizenship. This is pretty simple, and, if you have a valid birth certificate, you are well on your way to enjoying the life long rights and obligations of being a US citizen.

The other way to become a US citizen is through naturalization. This gets a little (or a lot) trickier. People who are 18 years and older can use the "Application for Naturalization" (Form N-400) to become naturalized.

Check the law -- there are several qualifying criteria for applying for naturalization depending on number of years you have been a permanent resident.

You may apply for naturalization if:

1. You have been a lawful permanent resident for five years,
    2. You have been a lawful permanent resident for three years, have ben married to a US citizen for those three years, and continue to be married to that US citizen,
    3. You are a lawful permanent resident child of United States citizen parents, or
    4. You have qualifying military service.

Children under 18 may automatically become citizens when their parents naturalize.

Now what about your child, after you have become naturalized? Usually, if children are permanent residents, they derive citizenship from their naturalized parents by law. Children who are getting citizenship from their naturalized parents use the "Application for a Certificate of citizenship" ( Form N-600). Are they automatically a citizen? In most cases they are if any of the following are true:

1. The other parent is also naturalized,
    2. You are the only surviving parent (if the other parent is dead),
    3. You have legal custody (if you and the other parent are legally separated or divorced.), or
    4. The child was under 18 when the parent(s) naturalized, the child was not married when the parent(s) naturalized; and the child was a permanent resident before his or her 18th birthday.

The naturalization process is a long one, taking at least two years to complete in most cases. But this does not mean you should be patient or complacent. Time requirements for the process are deceptive -- everything takes much, much longer than you might expect. This has more to do with complex paperwork flowing through understaffed government offices, than any conscious government policy. But the result is the same.

Therefore, the best advice is to be PROACTIVE. This means be diligent and pushy in moving the process, and if you do not feel it is moving fast enough, speak up and speak out to an appropriate person (whether that is your attorney or an immigration official). Otherwise, an error may take months to catch and correct, and -- meanwhile -- the clock is running on your application.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default non-us citizens

A non-us citizen can be a resident of Alaska or another state. Therefore can hunt with a regular non-resident license and tags.

There are non-us citizens hunting in Alaska as residents (once residency has been established).

But in NorthernAlberta's situation I would talk with a Trooper about that one.

Default According to the Regs...

An Alaskan Resident Is:

a person (including an alien) who is physically present in Alaska with the intent to remain indefinately and make a home here, has maintained that person's domicile for the 12 months immediately preceeding this application for a license, and is not claiming residency or obtaining benefits under a claim of residency in another state, territory, or country.

There are some other stipulations for military but those don't seem to apply. Apparently an alien must not claim residency in another country to be considered a resident (not sure how that works though). My advice, call the troopers or F+G. If you are not obtaining Canadian benefits, you might be considered eligible to hunt as a resident sometime this year.

Thanks; that's what I thought, ie. maintaining a domicile for 12 consecutive months... I'm no longer receiving Canadian benefits... I did have to file both Canadian and US tax returns just recently (pain in the *****!) but for '07 it should be just a US tax return.

Default Hunting regs

Check page 9 of the hunting regs for explanation on residency. Looks to me that after 12 consecutive months you will be considered a resident if you have the intent to stay and are not claiming residency in any other country.

On a somewhat related topic, which was also brought up earlier and something I just called F & G on last week! Even if you are a resident, you cannot "guide" for big game for someone who is second degree of kindred if they are also a nonresident alien. According to the state, nonresident alien status supersedes any kindred relationship.

Wyatt

Default Confusing huh?

Still trying to figure the whole residence thing out.
    Been here since Feb 06 from the UK,but not sure what actually qualifies me for a whole year of residency.
    The guy in Walmart told me to keep my non resident fishing licence,so next time I renew I can prove I`ve had one for a year and get a resident one next time.
    Thing is I was here a while before I got the licence, SSN, drivers licence etc were all aquired at differing times. Maybe my original visa would be proof as I`ve lived at the same address.
    Anyone know the number of a friendly state trooper?

I stand corrected thanks as for conufusing you bet the regs are! Thats why I keep a current regs book in the truck and if I have any questions I call dept fo fish aand game.