Thread: What priority "FIRST AID" Items, for small kit....?

Default What priority "FIRST AID" Items, for small kit....?

I completely disassembled the 36 hour "Survival" kit to make room for the new "Golite" SL3 fly.

My most basic minimal survival pack is nearly full of things I need before I consider First Aid Stuff. And the truth is that I have rarely ever needed any first aid supplies. But clearly I don't have room for much stuff, I think an "ACE" elastic roll bandage & VICODIN are "Must" for the kit. Now, I am open to suggestions of maybe (8) eight more items. Most likely event is falling into a rock pile and getting broken body parts, and/or deep gashes, or getting nibbled by a bear. Note: I am alone on the mountain, and if hurt must crawl out.

Thank You for the help.

Hey,
    A z pack (antibiotic pack) is a good thing to have along... Most likely injuries are fractures from a big fall or big wounds from a big fall. Some supplies to clean a wound and a suture kit or stapler might be a good thing-both are small and light. Gauze is light and packable and I always have a small container of salt to make some saline (about 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon of water) with which you could pack an open wound with a gauze roll and the saline and wrap up till you got to help. If you ever have an open fracture too, you must cover the exposed bone with a saline gauze to keep the bone viable... It's true that you usually don't need this stuff, but if you really are relying on your own powers to get out of the woods, should you ever need the stuff one day, you'll be so thankful to have hauled it hundreds of miles over your life for this one time!

None of this stuff will add much weight or bulk to your load.

An Ace bandage is good. I blew my right knee out a long time ago in the Pass and an Ace bandage got me back to the highway. I think that good pain medication is a great thing to carry cause if you have to hike out several miles with problems you willl need it. I'm not talking asperin here but the strongest stuff you can get your hands on.

Another thing I like to carry is a needle and suture for stiching up tears. I haven't needed it yet but I like carrying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Birkebakke View Post
    Hey,
    A z pack (antibiotic pack) is a good thing to have along... Most likely injuries are fractures from a big fall or big wounds from a big fall. Some supplies to clean a wound and a suture kit or stapler might be a good thing-both are small and light. Gauze is light and packable and I always have a small container of salt to make some saline (about 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon of water) with which you could pack an open wound with a gauze roll and the saline and wrap up till you got to help. If you ever have an open fracture too, you must cover the exposed bone with a saline gauze to keep the bone viable... It's true that you usually don't need this stuff, but if you really are relying on your own powers to get out of the woods, should you ever need the stuff one day, you'll be so thankful to have hauled it hundreds of miles over your life for this one time!

None of this stuff will add much weight or bulk to your load.

Thanks for the good advise, my problem is space not weight. I am trying to build a piggy'back Backpack system, and the assault pack is small.

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    An Ace bandage is good. I blew my right knee out a long time ago in the Pass and an Ace bandage got me back to the highway. I think that good pain medication is a great thing to carry cause if you have to hike out several miles with problems you willl need it. I'm not talking asperin here but the strongest stuff you can get your hands on.

Another thing I like to carry is a needle and suture for stiching up tears. I haven't needed it yet but I like carrying it.
    Yes, I have two suture kits, and agree they are very small and can be used to repair ones body and/or equipment.

Jim, I made it 2/3 of the way up Colorado Creek last Friday. I now know how to do the lower part, so I am going to do the loop the other way Thursday. Up Summit Cr. and down Colorado Creek as a long day hike, well long for an old man.

I've never used it, but I hear QuickClot is good if you're bleeding bad. Something I have used more than once is an instant cold compress, the kind you crack and it freezes.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Tampon. As an archer if I screw up and punchure myself with a broadhead and have to remove it, a tampon is probaby the best thing to plug the hole. They are time tested and some Quick Clot on top might get me to better medical attention.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I haven't done this, but here's another old route connecting fox creek and colorado creek.

Historical Documentation
    The Colorado-Fox Creek Trail Was Used As A Transportation Corridor And
    Mining Access During the Turn of the Century.

http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw//trails/rs...ILE_NUMBER=614

The Trail Is Located On the Kenai Peninsula, in Southcentral Alaska.
    The Trail Originates Near Mile 56 of the Seward Highway, Just North
    Of Summit Lake. the Trail Runs Northwestward, Traveling Along Color-
    Ado Creek. Continuing Northwestward, the Trail Leaves the Headwaters
    Of the Colorado Creek, Crosses A Ridge, and Veers Northward To the
    Headwaters of Fox Creek. the Trail Continues North-Northwestward Alon
    Along Fox Freek. the Route Is Located On USGS 1:63,360 Maps, Seward-7
    C-8 and C-8. the Length of the Trail Is Approximately 10 Miles.

since its ten miles it must have run all the way back and tied into Resurrection Pass trail. I have stayed at the Fox Creek forest service cabin before and I saw a trail that ran behind the cabin but I didn't go very far down it.

foxcreekcabin.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Yes, I have two suture kits, and agree they are very small and can be used to repair ones body and/or equipment.

Jim, I made it 2/3 of the way up Colorado Creek last Friday. I now know how to do the lower part, so I am going to do the loop the other way Thursday. Up Summit Cr. and down Colorado Creek as a long day hike, well long for an old man.
    AGL. Please keep me posted if you spot any game. I was considering doing that over a weekend during my caribou hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    AGL. Please keep me posted if you spot any game. I was considering doing that over a weekend during my caribou hunt.
    You want nothing to do with the lower half of Colorado Creek till well after first snow. There is not much to call a trail to start with, and the Cow Parsnip and Grass is 7' tall, you can not see you feet or the trail. Suggest going up Summit and down Colorado about 1/3 way down. I saw NO game, and only a few moose tracks in the mud. Looks like game rich enviroment, but only saw 4 magpies in 7 hours.

That was my assumption. I'm actually thinking of hooking North on the bench between summit and Colorado. From there I am hoping to run the ridge for a piece.

There's been some good suggestions. I'd add a Sam Splint (bulky though), Ace bandage and super glue. Just my .02

My ultralight med kit is a SAM Splint, a QuickClot, duct tape (the little bitty roll), a panty liner (makes a good wound cover) and moleskin. I'm covered that way for a break, a cut (major and minor), blisters, and you can use the duct tape for sprains as well. I do plan to add some pain killers and Immodium.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Thewolfwatching

For you AGL.. A bit of topical numbing solution (any hair waxing kit (0.4 oz)or feed store), a suture kit i.e. nose needle/awl, wax thread, aspirin (for a fever), maxi pads (sorry gents NOT panty liners) for blood loss, tape (duct or other) peroxide (for infection), keep some spearamint and chewing tobacco round for stomach issues…. and a bottle of whiskey will get you going beyond a friend… and if you need one of them.. well.. you got em.. and for the rest of ya.. YES! Many man in the bush survived Giardia by swallowing their spit)
    I always keep Magnesium for heart issues.. Should weigh about a pound when together..

Thewolfwatching

[QUOTE=Thewolfwatching;974130]
    "For you AGL.. A bit of topical numbing solution (any hair waxing kit (0.4 oz)or feed store"
    Sorry AGL, but the topical solution via wax kit or feed store needs to have “betadine” in it.. Mistake – ME.. Only betadine will have the numbing effect.. eeekkk..

tell me more about giardia. i have drank out of ponds, creeks, rivers, catch basins, roof rain, lakes, glacier melt, snow melt, etc. for many years and never caught this disease. but if i was to get it, what should i do until i got to help, back to civilization ?

Benedryl, it is still one of the best if you have an allergic reaction to something (or just bad allergies), plus it acts like a catalyst when taken with pain medicine for severe pain such as a broken leg. And if you need someone to sleep cause they are sick or can't be moved, it does that too. Ibuprofen (ie Motrin, Advil) is good too because it is not only a excellent pain medicine, it is also an anti-inflammatory. Good to have for injuries likes sprains. Aspirin should be on hand in case of head-ache or chest pain, but remember it is a blood thinner. Don't use for trauma. I would also say a space blanket. Shock is a big concern with trauma, and in AK I would think hypothermia could be an issue.

Thewolfwatching

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    tell me more about giardia. i have drank out of ponds, creeks, rivers, catch basins, roof rain, lakes, glacier melt, snow melt, etc. for many years and never caught this disease. but if i was to get it, what should i do until i got to help, back to civilization ?
    Don’t plan making it 100 yards off the trail LOL!!!! I’ve heard lots.. keep hydrated.. Yes, heard ol time stories re chewing tobacco and whiskey both.. Also ol timers used to worm horses with the same.. but keeping hydrated, I’d say, is the most important until you can get assistance.. Tust – are you a chewer? LoL.. Never had it myself but I’m serious about my water situations i.e. keep that ol filter handy or boil like crazy… just like cowboy coffee! Ha!
    Re Aspirin I like Excedrin due to the combo of caffeine and aspirin.. Opens the blood vessels quick and seems to have an enduring effect especially with a fever.. Having pneumonia at least 4 times in my life I consider Excedrin god-sent for the high degree stuff.. If your body is too washed out of minerals – do your research re mag… I also carry B-12 sup and combine them with mag. Vit C will also slow digestive issues.. uhh.. I believe scurvy was due to lack of..

Thewolfwatching

Quote Originally Posted by Gonda View Post
    Benedryl, it is still one of the best if you have an allergic reaction to something (or just bad allergies), plus it acts like a catalyst when taken with pain medicine for severe pain such as a broken leg. And if you need someone to sleep cause they are sick or can't be moved, it does that too. Ibuprofen (ie Motrin, Advil) is good too because it is not only a excellent pain medicine, it is also an anti-inflammatory. Good to have for injuries likes sprains. Aspirin should be on hand in case of head-ache or chest pain, but remember it is a blood thinner. Don't use for trauma. I would also say a space blanket. Shock is a big concern with trauma, and in AK I would think hypothermia could be an issue.
    I Agree!! Totally.. Anti-inflammatory meds have great effect too.. Never found them as good for fever reducing or immediate pain relief but.. dang.. for other things they work wonders..

Thewolfwatching

Wild Rose hips are a natural source of Vit C.. but do your research re please...