Thread: IBEP Card

Question IBEP Card

Will a IBEP Card from a state that does not require a shooting test to get your cert. card work for Alaska. It is still a IBEP Cert. Card but not sure if Alaska will require a shooting test anyway. My son lives in Vegas and is having a hard time trying to find somewhere to get IBEP Card. Every place I have found does not require a shoot test and they only give 1-2 classes a year. Thanks for any info.

generally a bowhunter ed IBEP card from another state gives you the same rights as a bowhunter as a card from AK

if you ever happen to draw a bowhunt only tag on a Gov base you may then have to do a proficiency test to show them you can shoot straight, but they also accept IBEP cards from other states

I will be taking the test this Saturday in Anchorage!

Call ADFG Hunter Information, talk to Gail (907-267-2187) she can tell you what transfers or not

Some states do not require an IBEP card but they issue them after taking the class (no shooting required). Alaska has honored this card for me.

450hunter,I agree 100% with Pupchow, call ADFG and ask them. They have a list of what states are good or not.Good luck

I was under the impression that any IBEP or NBEF card issued in another state is sufficient for hunting in Alaska, regardless of the shooting proficiency test or not.

I volunteer as I instructor for both bow Ed and hunter Ed and had thought the same thing until I was told by a soldier that he had to complete a proficiency shoot in order to hunt the haul road. So from that day on I tell people when they tell me they have a card from a different state to call ADFG here in Fairbanks just to make sure.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildliferegulations.bowhunting
    • Archery equipment can be used during any general open season. Special bowhunter certification is not required for these hunts.
    • Bowhunter certification is required for any big game hunt restricted to "bow and arrow only" or "certified bowhunters only."
    • Alaska recognizes bowhunter certification cards from any state authorized program or the NBEF/IBEP card.
    • Nonresidents applying for Archery only drawing permit hunts must enclose a photocopy of both sides of their card with their application.
    • Alaska's bowhunter certification course requires passing a shooting skills course. Hunters with certification from another state or the NBEF/IBEP card do not have to pass Alaska's shooting skills test.
    • Cross bows and other weapons are excluded from archery only hunts.
    According to the ADFG on their website, a IBEP issued card is all you need.

I confirmed this by email this morning with the ADF&G Hunter Information and Training dept. and that is exactly right. As long as it is and NBEF or IBEP card from any state you are good to go...regardless if they require shooting or not.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I have been hunting with my IBEP card from washington for the past 14 years, been checked numerous times and applied for permits, its honored in Alaska, you are good to go