Thread: NPFMC stakeholders meeting

Default NPFMC stakeholders meeting

After sucessfully getting IFQ's thrown out the commercial interests are not done trying to cram an IFQ system down the publics throat. These are the options so far and both privatize the public resource.

There are only two plans that the stakeholders have on the table right now. Both are IFQ plans.
    They are a IFQ proposal and the other is Angler days that are gifted to the
    charters.

How many times or ways do we need to say NO! The basic moratorium date of DEC.09 2005 needs to stand and there is no reason to gift the resource away.

I hope all interested plan on attending the NPFMC meeting in Anchorage to let the council know what they think of privatizing the Halibut resource. Let them know that all we (the public) want is our two fish a day from May to Sept. and the rest can go to the commercials.

Don't be fooled by the comfish claims of exploding Halibut catches, we caught less fish last year than we did in 2000, and sold 26,898 fewer sport fishing licenses.

Bruce Warner thinks we won't even need a moratorium;

The increasing cost of fuel this summer will beat the Commercial Halibut Industry "to the punch" putting a "moratorium" on charter boats. The Oil Analysts are now predicting fuel prices to approach $4.00 per gallon THIS summer. The Commercial Halibut Industry need NOT WORRY about a "EXPLOSIVE INCREASE" in the number of charter boats. It will be more like who will be the 'LAST MAN STANDING"?
    Last year there were 26,898 fewer Alaska Recreational Sport Fishing Licenses purchased than in 2005. It will be interesting to see where that number goes THIS year. Anybody want to hazard a guess? I think that figure indicates a coming trend. The FREE MARKET ECONOMIC FORCES at work will put a "moratorium" on the number of charter boats that can afford to survive in business without the NPFMC getting involved. So, in reality, it doesn't matter whether or not the NPFMC implements a moratorium. The ECONOMY will do it anyway.

Bruce Warner
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default Shaking my head

This post leaves me shaking my head!

First you state WE caught more in 2000 than WE did in 2006. Didnt you tell me you were not even in the fishery in 2000? Where is the we????

Second, Who the heck cares what Bruce Warner wants. He isnt even a charter owner. He is a booking agent trying to keep his own ability to pad his pocket alive. His stake in our industry is minimal. I personally dont give a hoot what he says. I have 15 years of blood sweat and tears involved in building my business. Well maybe he got a blister on his ear taking reservations so he could take a cut of the top. You refer to him like he is a major player. He is just a mouth.

The IFQ/Angler Days/ however you want to look at it is the only way to allow us to manage our own business. I didnt need the State and the NPFMC to help me build my business I dont need them to tell me how I do it now. I want the ability to make my own decisions. I am against any plan that calls for the State to be even slightly involved. Everything the state touches turns to crap and we will forever have to deal with the possibility of pre/inseason regulation changes. Forget that.

Anything like the KACO or Rassmussen plans becomes a welfare plan for the newcomers. It does nothing for the long term guys without much room to grow. It just helps all the newcomers who are the exact group who have us in this problem to begin with.

It cracks me up that you admit you are for the Moratorium. Oh yes limited entry is fine with you now that you are included. If you stood by all that you and ACA have declared from the begining you would be against any kind of limited entry. Cracks me up! "Limited entry is bad, no IFQ, etc etc etc. But now that the NPFMC gifted the problem area who should have never been included then OKAY on the Moratorium.

Default Repeating Bruce Warners Misinformation isn't the best - try finding some facts.

Quote Originally Posted by profishguide View Post
    After sucessfully getting IFQ's thrown out the commercial interests are not done trying to cram an IFQ system down the publics throat. These are the options so far and both privatize the public resource.

There are only two plans that the stakeholders have on the table right now. Both are IFQ plans.
    They are a IFQ proposal and the other is Angler days that are gifted to the
    charters.
    There are actually three plans on the table, a refined limited entry proposal (which would likely involved State Delegation) and the two plan that you mentioned.

The Stakeholder committee is comprised of 13 individuals, 1 is Dave Hanson council member and chair who doesn't vote, 2 commercial representatives, 1 processor representative, ADFG, Kenai Sport Fishing Assoc. representative and 7 charter representatives. If there isn't a plan on the table that you like, talk to the charter representatives. They out number the commercial 2 to 1. Mighty difficult for the commerical to be running this committee.

The basic moratorium date of DEC.09 2005 needs to stand and there is no reason to gift the resource away.
    Agreed that the control date for the moratorium needs to stand. Gifting the resource is one discussion but management of the resource is critical.

I hope all interested plan on attending the NPFMC meeting in Anchorage to let the council know what they think of privatizing the Halibut resource. Let them know that all we (the public) want is our two fish a day from May to Sept. and the rest can go to the commercials..
    The council isn't even discussing the long-term solutions at this meeting. That is tentatively planned for the June meeting. This meeting is discussing the moratorium, 2C GHL measures, receiving reports and discussion papers.

Don't be fooled by the comfish claims of exploding Halibut catches, we caught less fish last year than we did in 2000, and sold 26,898 fewer sport fishing licenses...
    In the public draft of the halibut moratorium analysis (EA/RIR/IRFA) page 12 table 4 for 2C the number of halibut harvested in 2000 was 57,208 fishwith 105,245 sportfish licenses and in 2005 the number of halibut harvested was 102,206 fish and the number of sportfish licenses in 2C for 2004 was 121,858
    In 3A the number of halibut harvested in 2000 was 159,609 fish with 114,131 sportfish licenses and in 2005 the number of halibut harvested was 206,902 fish and the number of sportfish licenses in 3A for 2004 was 126,260
    http://www.fakr.noaa.gov/npfmc/curre...atorium307.pdf

or you can look at the numbers provided to the NPFMC by ADFG
    where 2C harvested 1.132MLB in 2000 and 2.1 MLBs in 2006
    or in 3A 3.14Mlbs was harvested in 2000 and 3.947 Mlbs was harvest in 2006.
    http://www.fakr.noaa.gov/npfmc/curre..._GHLstatus.pdf

Sure looks like an increase to me