Thread: August 10th Moose Movement Question

Default August 10th Moose Movement Question

I've been out hiking and scouting in the Valley and up north toward Willow and taking tons of pics of moose and filling my little note book up with times and places I'm seeing them. My real question is how much do moose move when you are seeing them in an area from now until say August 15th. has anyone ever hunted moose out of a tree stand? Can't wait to stick a freezer full meat!

thanks

If you want to understand moose behavior do not lump all moose together, that being said I would think you will find moose are not going to be doing a lot of moving for the next month. There in there summer feeding grounds and have no reason to move. I do not remember when the cows start getting more active the middle of August sounds about right after the 20-25th thing start to get complicated for bulls and cows.

Note, I lump them all together to answer your question.

Thanks for the information, I'm hoping I wont have to wait until the 15th-25th. I would like to wrap my moose season up on the 10th

Moose are very unpredictable in early season. I agree with rutting moose that generally speaking, moose will stay pretty close to their summer range until late August. Then they start to rub their velvet and begin seeking other bulls for sparring matches. But, on the same token, I have seen legal bulls in my backyard the day before bow season, only to have them disappear opening day. If you got a good spot where you are seeing bulls, I would guard your secret and be there at first light opening morning. You might get lucky and get your wish. But don't be surprised if they disappear.