Thread: Is it enough?

Default Is it enough?

Hey all just wondering if I have enough motor to push me around. I have a 16ft semi v with a 35hp 2 stroke. What areas should I avoid with my current power situation and what areas would I be ok in? The boat seats 4 and I dont typically carry a lot of gear. Just poles/tackle, lunch and beer.

Im currently shopping for a slightly larger 4 stroke I just cant bring myself to spend several grand on a motor that is more than I spent on the boat. Maybe adding a 15 or so hp kicker would be in my advantage?
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

A lot depends on the type of boat. Is it 16 ft fiberglass or aluminum? If aluminum is it welded or riveted? All factors that we would need to know before offering advice on powering the boat. A 16 ft riveted skiff would have plenty of power with a 35 hp motor. A heavier welded boat, maybe not.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

More importantly, where are you looking to take the boat? In any case, putting a 15 hp kicker next to a 35 hp main moter on a 16 ft boat seems excessive.

Its riveted aluminum. I want to be able to take it up and down the parks highway streams without issue. Little su, deshka, etc with possible trips down to the peninsula. I know there are regs on the Kenai that prohibit 2 stroke so that is one of my issues as well.

As a good rule of thumb, the ideal gross weight, i.e. boat, motor, fuel, people and gear should be 25# per hp, or in the case of a 35hp, 875#, the max weight is best if kept at or under 40#/hp or 1400# for your 35hp, and about the most you'll get on step, but you'll really be lugging the motor is 50#/hp or 1750#/hp.

So take the weight of your hull, engine and fuel, then subtract it to the various figures to see how many people and how much gear you can take. Those factors don't take into acount freeboard, i.e. how much of the hull is above the water line.

Adding a kicker is just going to add extra weight to what sounds like an already overloaded boat. Try to strip out as much extraneous gear as possible, you just might be suprised how well the boat handles with less weigth.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

In that case 35 hp is plenty. But as frostbitten said 15 hp kicker would be excessive. A common set-up used to be a 16 ft skiff with a 35 hp main and a 6 hp kicker. you might get away with a 9.9. I've run 16 ft skiffs with a 25 hp main and a 3 hp kicker without issue in the past. My current rig is a 16 ft skiff with a 40 hp main and a 6 hp kicker.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

My first boat was a 18' Grumman jon boat with a 35 hp Merc 2 stroke jet. It smoked so bad while back trolling you could barely see out of the plume to see where you were going. It did me good in every situation, even Lake Cr and Clear Cr. It was slow as a snail but I was just happy to be on the water.

Though you haven't said, I am assuming this is prop and not jet driven, power sounds fine but the few times I have been on the little su with my little Jon, better bring spare props. I have only been up river from Burma, but it's a pretty shallow river.

Alright thanks for the input guys. It is a prop. I have one extra but can pick up another. Looks like I can drop the hp on the kicker. I'm not looking to haul butt. I'm just going to be happy to be out there fishing. The slower I go the less likely I am to crash it or I'll at least see the crash coming.

Is there a scale in or near anchorage where I can get it weighed to find out how much it weighs unloaded?

One of our boats is a 16' semi V riveted alum. skiff with a 70 jet. It will do 25-30 with 4 people plus alot of gear. If your looking for a 4 stroke a 35-50 will fit just fine. Our evinrude 70 would be alot faster with a prop but its all good.
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

A prop won't do much for you on the northern streams unless you stay on the Big Su. You can get to the Deshka, Lake Creek, and Alexander without too much problem, but the upstream creeks from Deshka landing can be a bit problematic with the prop. Like was mentioned, the Little su is pretty limiting for a prop. You can usually make it carefully downstream if the water is up and about a mile upstream from Burma landing.

If you are intent on running the northern streams, I'd look for a 50 jet for your setup then go find the skinny water!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Don't forget that pitch of the prop has a lot to do with motor/boat performance in regard to load (or lack of it).
    Many years ago I purchased a 40hp Evinrude from Midnight Sun Boat Co. (boy, I miss those guys, they were truly Alaskan, but anyway...). When matching a prop to the motor, I expressed some doubt to a mechanic that perhaps I had chosen too small a motor for my set-net skiff. He responded, "Put the right pitch prop on this motor, and you can move anything.". Hyperbole, yes, but a good point nonetheless.

Same thing with plane props as well.. We run props in any water, just spent some $$ and got the 16' with the 70 jet and its alright. Jets are slow but you can do truely crazy stuff with them, but I hate how anything you suck into your intake can screw you over! And its a big difference to navigate at slow speeds with the jet compared to the prop but im a learning boater.
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Is there a scale in or near anchorage where I can get it weighed to find out how much it weighs unloaded?
    anchorage recycling center (after hours)
    look to the building to the east for weight

The problem with a jet is the cost I will incur. Its a relatively cheap boat and I just bought it so that I have something to get me on the water with. Im unfortunately not going to live here forever (at least while Im still on active duty) so I dont want to spring for a 10k plus boat just to try and have to resell it when I leave to who knows where.

Maybe I can find a bigger 2 stroke with a jet for a reasonable price and find my compromise there.

You can also buy a lot of props for the cost of a different engine. I run a 16' with an old 35 Merc. goes fine on the Big Su, lakes, etc. A 4 stroke would be my choice for a new engine, but at this point I'm fine with the occasional prop ding/replacement and an old smoker.

Took the boat out for the test run today on finger lake. It ran great. It got it through some of the shallow water just to see how low it sat. If Im moving at a reasonable pace it got through 18-24 in with zero issues. Of course that was soft bottom stuff.

We trolled some flasher (my setup needs work on these the kept getting knotted up) and some hot shot wiggle lures as well as a few vibrax.

The hot shots killed em. We hooked up about 12-15, 8-14 in trout. Nothing big but they still fight pretty good even for small fish. We let pretty much all of em go and just save the ones we accidentally mangled getting the hooks out which was 4 of the larger ones.

We wanted a few bigger ones but I cant complain about a good day on the lake and hooking into 15 fish small or not.