Thread: Gloves?

Default Gloves?

I'm going caribou hunting up in unit 23 this year and I'm getting my gear put together. Thanks to all on this forum that have emphasized that AK is all together different than the lower 48 for clothing and equipment needs.

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone had solid recommendations for gloves?

Thanks, CarlV

Default Gloves

I prefer to wear wool. I bring at least three pairs with me. Bring a light, medium and heavy weight glove because you cover the spectrum for conditions and dexderity needs.

I've never hunted in that unit, but I use thinsulate polar fleece fingerless gloves with attached mittens. They are warm enough with the mittens on in even the coldest weather and with the mittens off the open fingers give me added dexterity. The thumb is full fingered and sometimes gets in the way as it is slightly too large for my thumb.
    Chris Willhoite

Talking

i like the gloves from outdoor research. many models to choose from.

for cold i like fleece with synthetic insulation and for hiking leather with a breathable sysnthetic back to keep the hands dry.

On a fall hunt I'll take a few pairs of lighter gloves, just enough to protect from wind and chill. At least one pair is "waterprof", but they all seem to get wet anyway...so I take at least 3 pairs. I've tried neoprene, Stormkloth, Goretex, etc...Now I just swap out when one gets wet rather than spending the extra money on anothe "innovative, waterproof" pair that ends up not working.

In the winter, I add a good pair of thick military arctic mittens.

Default gloves

Last year it rained most all of hunting season. I used a pair of neoprane gloves. Yes my hands were wet but they stayed warm. When it was nice and no rain i use the wool gloves that others use. The neoprane gloves work especially well when riding a machine. Hands are soaked but warm. Good luck, Chef

Arrow Glacier Gloves

You might want to check out Glacier Gloves. I think their website is glacierglove.com. I just received a pair in the mail but haven't used them in the field yet. I ran across them when I was researching neoprene gloves and read some great reviews about them. I ordered the "curved hunt & fish fleece lined" model at the recommendation of one of their employees. They are very well made and form fitting. You should have no problem shooting with them on. I have read a few reviews from people complaining about Sealskinz neoprene not doing such a good job at being waterproof and that's how I stumbled upon these.

Gloves serve two seperate purposes for me. One is to protect my hands from the cold. I prefer windstopper fleece for that since they're light and do their job well when wet. And they dry quickly. The second job is to protect my hands from whatever I'm grabbing. That may be devil's club, rose bushes, salmonberry canes, etc. For that I prefer uninsulated leather. Fleece gloves really suck after you've grabbed a handful of thorns. Leather gloves suck when wet. There's a time and place for both, so I usually take both.

Thumbs up Gloves for hunting Alaska

I like to bring along a pair of polypro glove liners even in warmer weather. Keeps the skeeters and whitesox off of my hands. I can tell you that those bugs will eat you alive and will certainly settle for hands when they can't get at your face, fly into your eyes, down your throat, etc.

Northwest River Supplies offers several types of rafting gloves that are also worth a look. I do bring along a pair of neoprene gloves but only rarely use them. I certainly wear them in rain. I have a pair of windstopper fleece gloves with leather palms that I really like- but I can't remember the brand name. I think I bought them at Barney's Sport Chalet. Now I remember- they're made by "Yoko" (thought it was John Lennon, but no...). Anyway, Barney's has an excellent assortment of rugged gloves made for the climbing industry; check out their glove page!

Since you're hunting GMU 23, you won't see a lot of Devil's Club, but for those hunting farther south it's always nice to toss in a pair of leather work gloves. Can't tell you how many times I grabbed a stalk of Devil's Club in the dark, thinking it was a limb.

I usually bring three pairs of gloves, of different kinds.

Oh, one more thing- latex gloves. No, you won't be doing any medical exams out there, but some folks prefer them when working on an animal- especially a bear. Every year or three somebody ends up with an infection in their hands from working on a bear with a cut finger. We call it 'bear hands'; your hand will swell up like a sausage. So, many folks use thin latex gloves when they're working on an animal. An added benefit is that they keep the blood sucking insects off your hands while you work.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

chef viktor, if you want a waterproof neoprene glove, try the "Kenai Premium" gloves by Glacier Glove. They are a 2mm neoprene, but the entire exterior of the glove has the rubbery, dimpled texture - not the smooth wetsuit-like stuff. They are absolutely waterproof.

I have three pair I use for fishing & riding. They are form fitting and offer enough dexterity that I use them when I fillet fish. I like the fact that they rinse off with a splash of water and don't hold the fish slime/smell like other neoprene gloves. You can order them online or pick them up at Wal-Mart for about $22 a pair. Here's their website: http://www.glacierglove.com/pages/neoprenegloves.htm

Just managed to get back to this. Thanks all for telling me what works for you. Gives me lots of options that work for others.

CarlV

Thumbs up Gloves

Hi Carl:

I live and hunt in GMU 23 and I hope you have an enjoyable hunting experience next fall.

The key thing to keep in mind is that most of unit 23 is north of the Arctic Circle. The real important question is when are you coming? Late Aug is still very warm up here but by week 3 of Sept it is getting down right cold most years. One of the comments was to plan on 3 levels of gloves, light. med and heavy wt gloves. Good idea! Our weather is getting stranger every year and you can not count on anything except that it will be wet and cold at least part of the time during your hunt.

I hunt with 1 pair of wool gloves in my pack and carry 2 pairs of light cotton liners. This may sound silly but those 79-cent cotton gloves are about all you will need and I throw away about 10 pairs every winter. Low Tec for sure but it works for me!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Your best choice for all of your equipment needs!

Default wool

I'll second the vote for wool gloves. There are all kinds of new-fangled materials out there that supposedly work better and/or weigh less, but wool is still the best IMO. I usually take at least 2 pairs with me if the weather will be such that I think I may need gloves. If they get wet during the day, wring them out and keep on hunting....they'll still be warm. The next day, wear the other pair.
    By the way, I also still wear "old fashioned" wool hunting clothes. As the tag on my Filsons says, "Might as well have the best."