Thread: Cannery dock and ramp on S. side of Kenai River

Default Cannery dock and ramp on S. side of Kenai River

I know this is a private ramp and dock, but I do see people tying up temporarily and using the porta potties at the top of the ramp.

My question is this.....We have more kids that want to go dip-netting than we have room for on my 15' Zodiac. Can we get to this dock from the road to change out the kid crew, so everybody gets a chance? I know I could run back to the city dock, but it would be a lot quicker if I could go to the cannery dock.

It is a private campground but is dipper friendly. I, just don't know the name but I'm sure somebody else will. Search for the thread about a camper on a P/U and access to the south beach for camping. Their link is in there. It will be under dipnetting thread so it won't be hard to find. Anybody else want to chime in that is not so ignorant of the camp ground name?
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

I believe this is what you're talking about:

http://www.kenailanding.com/fish-camp-dipnetting.php

Kenai Landing is a very friendly place. To get there, take Kalifornsky and then turn right on Cannery Rd. We have done similar boat crew exchanges where someone will drive to the Cannery, either pay day parking or just drop off some folks, and I'd pull over to the dock and load them on the boat. We always rent one of their rooms now, or one of their camping spots. It has a restaurant and a bit of sight-seeing. The darn boat launch fee of $20 sucks though

How busy is that launch compared to the city dock? I will be there on Friday and I am really dreading the launch and recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by MMcLaughlin View Post
    How busy is that launch compared to the city dock? I will be there on Friday and I am really dreading the launch and recovery.
    The launch at Kenai Landing can be very busy during peak times. Usually it is not as bad as City Dock because the line is a 1/4 of the length. The two main problems with it however is that they can only launch one boat at a time, and the launch is closed 2 hours before and after low tide because their launch is shorter than the City Dock and hits the mud. If you are planning on launching during low tide, definitely head to City Dock. If you are in the water during low tide, you won't be able to pull your boat out of the water at Kenai Landing. As the tide is coming back in, a boat launch line will form at Kenai Landing, and as soon as the water rises up enough to cover the concrete, they will open the launch and off we go.

This Friday, you should have a short wait in the morning trying to launch before low tide. You could hang out in the water all day and dip during low tide and then take your boat out on the evening tide. I myself will sleep in Friday morning and get in the boat launch line around 12-1pm and wait for the launch to open as the tide comes back in

Thanks for the info.

Good information. Thanks guys. I looked at there web sight, and it looks like they don't have a cleaning table, but I'll call to make sure. I can always just head and gut, then ice and bring them back to Anchorage for filleting. Or for another fee, go across the river to the other camp sight that has cleaning tables on the dock. I think he charges $35 for use though. Nice stainless tables with water hoses.

Why gut and de-head? Just pull a gill and let them bleed. Ice is the key. Keep em cold is all that is required for a good finished product.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

We bleed all fish as they come aboard. I might take the heads off along the shore somewhere just to save on cooler space if needed. At that point you might as well gut too, you're just talking seconds. The fish will ice that much better without head and guts. To each his own, when fishing Halibut, I also head and gut before icing for the trip home and filleting.

Yeah low tide is very dangerous and every year you see someone stuck on the shallow side of the river. The deep end becomes very fast so be carful trying to load your boat during that time too. Live and learn.....

I'll never try that again!!